• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't Pass Smog

Gearbox94

Reaction score
Hey guys, so just got my truck up and running. It's a 2000 with the 2.5 lima. The problem i'm having is i cannot get one diagnostic monitor to ready up for emissions testing. Every other monitor is ready except the EGR. I've tried everything to get it to ready up. I did the ford recommended drive cycle of accelerating from a dead stop to 45mph at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle 3 times. After doing this about 10 times i don't know what to do. I've also tried driving it on the freeway at 60mph for 10min and then tried accelerating to 50mph or so on some back roads and just letting it decel in gear to about 30mph. Does anyone have any tricks to get this thing to ready up? i cant get this truck registered until i pass smog.. combined i've put over 50 miles on this since the battery was last unhooked.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
How do you know that it has not done all its readiness tests? If you used a scan tool that is interactive, I think you should be able to exercise the EGR readiness test independently. If you have the P1000 code, then you may need to 'go shopping' and 'go on a trip'. The first involves driving for a few miles, then parking for a while, simulating a shopping trip, then, or later, doing a freeway drive of 10 minutes or so, and parking for a while, simulating a commute or a trip of longer duration. The system may have an evap test that is harder to get done involving the carbon canister, etc, where the fuel has to be below 1/4 tank I think. The system will pressurize, or evacuate, and allow pressure to build, based on the vapor pressure of the fuel, etc, a real involved test. That may be the one that turns on the light due to a loose or leaking gas cap.
If the EGR can't be cleared by doing the test readiness exercise, then I would check the EGR tube for being plugged and not rusted through, the two hoses to the DPFE sensor for being tight and intact, and the cleanliness and freedom of movement of the EGR valve itself. There aren't any more components, I think, except the port into the intake.
tom

Gearbox94

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes forgot to mention I've been check the status of the monitors with my scan tool. There aren't any codes popping or codes being stored. I suppose I'll try driving it around town some more like you stated. I'll also check out the condition of the EGR valve and the DPFE and associated hoses.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

flybeech

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are probably better ways to do it, but I quick-checked Ford EGR systems like this. At idle, I would use the mighty-vac to pull the EGR valve open, looking for a nice drop in idle speed, often needing to remove and mechanically clean the EGR passage in the throttle body. Then I would perform a KOER test, with a vacuum gauge teed into the green EGR vacuum line. When KOER came up to the EGR system function test, I would read the the manifold pressure on the gauge. If it came up low, I would look for leaks, or if none found, replacing the control solenoid would bring the manifold pressure back up. The DPFE needs to be checked, to be sure a restricted exhaust hasn't melted the special DPFE hoses and that they are clear. I generally replaced the metal DPFE's for the plastic ones, because the ports fill with corrosion and don't always seem to store an EGR flow problem, when they should. Making sure the EGR is working perfectly, should close the IM monitor after the drive cycle. There are some good drive cycles on YouTube, I've used to close stubborn IM monitors, on an otherwise fine running vehicle.

Gearbox94

Reaction score
Well i managed to get the last monitor to show ready, i just drove it down the highway at 70mph for 30 min then turned it off for about 30 min and drive another 30min at 70 mph and it finally went ready. I was able to get it smogged and registered! Thanks to everyone that made suggestions :icon_thumby:

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
You ever run any type of engine cleaner?

I have found 2oz (1/4 cup) of the cheapest ATF in a full tank of gas and drive normally will help blow all the crap carbon deposits that clog up this kind of stuff...

Since I got my 97, I have probably ran hell 4 gallons of old waste ATF thru my truck a 1/2 quart at a time (per fillup) and truck runs solid as a rock (well until recently...but I think it may have been the crap gas these "shady" gas stations were selling before the fuel companies got back up and running

Oh and how often do you "open her up" as in floor it and more or less see how fast you can go from a dead stop to 60-70mph? A full throttle run helps blow all that crap out...occasionally...not all the time (don't drive like a pissed off redneck)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals