• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger rebuilt A4LD trans install, tech help!!

joe123#

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a rebuilt A4LD automatic transmission from a person down the road from me. From what I have seen from switching out the bell housing and such, it was rebuilt and came with a new torque converter in a box. However, it did sit in a garage for at least 5 years.

My issue is that it had a new switch/sensor installed on it, that was not there before, and there is no connector for it. ( It is located just before the tail housing on the modulator side, and is a simple two prong connect). (Note: the guy thinks the trans came out of an 87 aerostar)!

The one I got it from says he had it rebuilt with an upgrade kit, and he don't know why it was installed, he did't ask for the switch. Anyway I installed the trans and it does shift ok? but it has a slight ticking sound under the the trans pan, up front by the bell housing, that doesn't change even in gear. almost sounds like a lifter tap. but isn't the engine. wonder if the switch controls a relay under the pan.

I only found 1 switch online, and it may be a Torque converter pressure lockup switch. can this be the issue, (And how do I hook it up)??? thanks.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
That may be a speed sensor. Newer models used electronic speedometers, counting pulses as the output shaft rotated with a toothed wheel is/was a common method of obtaining calculated speed/distance information. Also noted in some transmissions is a 'turbine shaft' rotation sensor. If the value read did not agree with what it 'should' be, the light on the dash would turn on. Electronic controlled transmissions use solenoids to enable clutch packs, servos, etc and "know with this/that enabled, and engine rpm at 1300, the output shaft should be rotating at 500 ..." If not, there's trouble.
As far as the tick, I'd remove the inspection plate on the front of the bell housing(you did put it back, right?) and check that any of the studs on the converter are 'longer' or have rub marks where they touched something, or the flex plate having a wobble, or similar. I make the assumption the tick speed is related to engine rpm???
More info from a more techinical perspective:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.html
I rebuilt one in an Aero* several years ago, and don't remember the connector, but it was a 1990-1991 4.0.
If you were rebuilding, there are good tips in the above reference.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals