• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lost key, Anyway around pats?

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Got a friend bought a truck wih out the key, its a 2001 if I where to change the key switch would I still need reprogrammed?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yep. Your best bet is to go to a dealer ($$$) or a locksmith that is able to program the keys.

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No way around PATS, wouldn't be much of an anti-theft system if there was :)

Mobile Locksmith with Ford software on his laptop can cut a key(get 3 made) and then add those keys to the PATS memory.
Keys can only be added when computer is in the truck, so you either need to tow the truck to the locksmith or Ford Dealer, or get locksmith to come to the truck.

The reason you want 3 PATS keys is that if you lose 1, you can add another PATS key yourself, IF(big if) you still have 2 working PATS keys.

Changing the ignition switch lock doesn't matter, the PATS is in the computer, the key switch just has an antenna that reads the PATS keys "number", the "number" that needs to be in the computers memory for that key to work.
So best to stay with original key setup, so doors and ignition match.

Ford Dealer can often cut you a key using KEY CODE from VIN, but it still needs to be added to the Computers memory.
And dealers often don't have the key codes for model years older than 10 or 15 years, so.............2001?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals