• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear end replacement? What works?

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, if this information is here somewhere I apologize because I cant seem to find it. I have an 87 BII 4x4 and the rear end is shot. I dont trust myself to rebuild it and was wanting to buy one new. The axle code:42
open 7.5"
3.45 ratio

What can I use? Can I use a ranger 7.5? I saw in the library it warned against that. What can I use to replace it and where can I buy one?

This is my only vehicle and I need to get it back on the road as quickly as possible. Thanks so much for the help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, the catch with the Explorers and the BIIs is that the spring perches are in unique spots. The Explorers are under the axle, instead of over it, the BII perches are farther apart than the others.

If you want bolt-in you kinda need to find one from a BII.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What's wrong with your current axle?

You've eliminated the driveshaft as possibly being your problem, correct? (this assuming you're still running the stock dual-CV driveshaft)

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well first it was just howling under throttle above 35 and my rear antilight brake light would come on. Today however, something inside broke and bound up. It sounded like someone was beating on it with a hammer. LOUD under load and nothing at all off throttle. Got it up in the air and spinning the wheels it would bind up. There also was a LOT of play when turning the driveshaft by hand. Like a 1/4 turn before the wheels would move. Where can I get a new or rebuilt BII rear end?

Last edited:

Ledphoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
duh
Engine Size
3.0 and TBD
Transmission
Automatic
ring and pinion from any ford 7.5 rear will fit , check your you pull it yards for mustang cougar etc "fox bodies" or your local Craigslist. You housing is special to the bronco 2 and there is no "bolt in swap" But the guts are dime a dozen.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ring and pinion from any ford 7.5 rear will fit , check your you pull it yards for mustang cougar etc "fox bodies" or your local Craigslist. You housing is special to the bronco 2 and there is no "bolt in swap" But the guts are dime a dozen.
Im pretty nervous about doing a rebuild myself. I would love to do it, I did an engine swap myself, is the shimming and all that as daunting as it seems? There is noting wrong that I can see with the case. Are there any how-tos for complete noobs?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
wouldn't it still have to be set up though?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can head to the junk yard and pull one, or you can go to a shop and have it fixed.

Those are about your only options the way I see it. Unless you are gonna take a whack at fixing it yourself.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can head to the junk yard and pull one, or you can go to a shop and have it fixed.

Those are about your only options the way I see it. Unless you are gonna take a whack at fixing it yourself.
How scary is it? I can swap a head gasket....this seems more precise though. I have a shop that does good work for cheap. You know what they say though, if its good and cheap it aint fast.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well first it was just howling under throttle above 35 and my rear antilight brake light would come on. Today however, something inside broke and bound up. It sounded like someone was beating on it with a hammer. LOUD under load and nothing at all off throttle. Got it up in the air and spinning the wheels it would bind up. There also was a LOT of play when turning the driveshaft by hand. Like a 1/4 turn before the wheels would move. Where can I get a new or rebuilt BII rear end?
Yeah, that definitely sounds like the axle for sure.

If you want to take a stab at it, i would suggest reading up about setting up ring & pinion gears. Randy's Ring & Pinion has some literature that explains what all is involved pretty well. There's also plenty of other resources on the net as well. You will need a number of special tools though.
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf

There are also some links here in the Axles FAQ about changing gears that might be useful (sites showing what gear patterns look like and how the various adjustments affect them, etc.).
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136954

Biggest thing is going to be making sure your axle housing is fully clean and that it's not damaged at all.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that definitely sounds like the axle for sure.

If you want to take a stab at it, i would suggest reading up about setting up ring & pinion gears. Randy's Ring & Pinion has some literature that explains what all is involved pretty well. There's also plenty of other resources on the net as well. You will need a number of special tools though.
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf

There are also some links here in the Axles FAQ about changing gears that might be useful (sites showing what gear patterns look like and how the various adjustments affect them, etc.).
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136954

Biggest thing is going to be making sure your axle housing is fully clean and that it's not damaged at all.
Hmmm. Alright. I wanted to swap in an 8.8 at one point. does it make sense to go that route?

Ledphoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
duh
Engine Size
3.0 and TBD
Transmission
Automatic
an 8.8 requires welding and fab work. I've had good luck pulling the guts out of a rear and putting it into the old housing just keeping all the shims where they were. Big issue pulling one down is the pinion nut requires some serious torque. Where are you located, maybe we can help you find a complete rear.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im near Valdosta GA. Im going to price some gears and see what I cant find.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i recently lifted it and swapped to 31 " tires. I think i want to change the gears too. What exactly to i need to buy?

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay Ive done a bit of reading Im just not sure what all I need. I think I will let the shop do the work because I cant afford to break anything. Im looking to overhaul the rear end and put 4.56 in front and rear. I cant seem to find a listing of exactly the parts I need to get and drop off at the shop. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals