• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd bolt?

Bierisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so I was cruising through my engine bay looking at all of the dirt and dust.(Killing me where I live.) And I started looking at the valve covers and I noticed this odd bolt.

It's the one on the left here, compared to the others the head is a 1/2" I think and the rest are all 8mm.

Is this a quick fix someone did, or is this supposed to be this way?:dunno: I looked at the passenger side front and it is just a stud, not a bolt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would be a "hey this fits" add on by last owner/mechanic

Bierisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hey, if it fits isn't not so bad. Especially if it isn't leaking.

Bierisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
But it makes me wonder, what else has been lost and replaced by something that fits.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
But it makes me wonder, what else has been lost and replaced by something that fits.
Yeah, but if it fits and it's doing the job who cares? If it works it works.

You are probably the guy who goes back in to the shop and makes them look your vehicle over again because you pass a bolt in the parking lot on the way to your car.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Hell half the bolts in my valve covers were missing when I got by B2. 1 mismatched bolt can't be that bad. Oh add to that most of the threads for the valve cover bolts are stripped out so....

Bierisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would hope you got everything sorted before driving at all. lol

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look at the bright side, someone put a bolt back in!

Bierisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, but if it fits and it's doing the job who cares? If it works it works.

You are probably the guy who goes back in to the shop and makes them look your vehicle over again because you pass a bolt in the parking lot on the way to your car.
No, I am not, but it does bother me when I get something that has been patched together, you wouldn't buy a pool if it was held together with gaffer tape.

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know for sure what size bolts the valve covers take, but I'm guessing 6mm, possibly 8. (Not the head where the socket fits on, but the actual threads.) The thing is, OEM's use the same thread bolt as everyone else but specify a different head size for certain applications. For example, I'm working on something and drop one of the 10mm headed 8x1.25 bolts and it doesn't hit the ground. After a quick search I still can't find the thing... So now my choice is to possibly spend a bunch of time trying to find the lost bolt, time that is quickly costing me and my shop money, or I could go to the bolt bin and grab another 8x1.25 bolt and thread it in there even though (gasp!) it takes a 12mm socket. I have seen 8mm bolts that take anywhere from 8mm to 17mm sockets.

TL;DR - It's all good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the picture you could swap the bigger head bolt with the one next to it and add a dipstick support bracket, looks like it needs one :)

Bierisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know for sure what size bolts the valve covers take, but I'm guessing 6mm, possibly 8. (Not the head where the socket fits on, but the actual threads.) The thing is, OEM's use the same thread bolt as everyone else but specify a different head size for certain applications. For example, I'm working on something and drop one of the 10mm headed 8x1.25 bolts and it doesn't hit the ground. After a quick search I still can't find the thing... So now my choice is to possibly spend a bunch of time trying to find the lost bolt, time that is quickly costing me and my shop money, or I could go to the bolt bin and grab another 8x1.25 bolt and thread it in there even though (gasp!) it takes a 12mm socket. I have seen 8mm bolts that take anywhere from 8mm to 17mm sockets.

TL;DR - It's all good.
Yeah, I'd hate to lose a bolt like that too, but I am not a shop and I would've dug around for that bugger. lol

Looking at the picture you could swap the bigger head bolt with the one next to it and add a dipstick support bracket, looks like it needs one :)
That it does and that's a good idea! I never even thought about adding anything to it!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, I am not, but it does bother me when I get something that has been patched together, you wouldn't buy a pool if it was held together with gaffer tape.
I wouldn't buy a pool. I also assume that there are things that are less than factory (pronounced "wrong") when I buy a used vehicle.

On the other hand my truck is just as patch-work as a quilt, but I have no CEL on, she runs fine, and she is better than factory.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
When I sheared a few 8mm fender bolts on a bug I re tapped the holes with a 5/16 tap. The 5/16 has a 1/2 inch head. The 8mm has a 13mm head. 5/16 is 7.9 mm . The thread pitch is similar enough so that I could run an 8mm into a 5/16 . First time was a bit stiff, the second try was fine. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals