• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I beef up the rear ?

994x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was hauling fire wood yesterday and the rear sagged very bad. My trailer hitch scrubbed when I pulled into the driveway:shok: Think air shocks would help or should I look for some add a leafs? Thanks By the way it is a 99 4x4 single cab with a 4.0. Thanks again

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if you like the way the truck rides now i would stay away from add a leaves (they will increase the firmness of the rear suspension). air shocks or air bags would be an excellent way to reduce sagging.

Blueovalboy89

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
It may also be cheaper to just get some overload springs. There fairly easy to put on in a few minutes, and they come off just as easy when your done hauling. They will make the ride much stiffer, but when your hauling a heavy load stiffness is not a bad thing. I'm pretty sure they carry overload springs at advance or your local parts store and they're fairly inexpensive.

994x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I will check advance auto parts tomorrow

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i know this is a fairly old thread, i have 1,500 pound coil helpers on my 4x and the best thing about them is when im empty they dont tough the frame. rides stock empty, has a 3/4 ton suspention when loaded. i did have to knock off the ears on the factory lift block that served as bump stops (used a torch) heres a couple of pics:
ive also found a way to do this with a taurus, bolted a pipe between the lower control arms to act as a axle housing, used a pipe coupler to act as a bearing and for the coil u-bolt to clamp to, used a conduit clamp to secure to top of the coil to the body of the car. my rear strut springs were weak and now it has a muscle car stance, the coil helpers are about 30 bucks at autozone. the car does ride stiffer but having good headlight aim at dark has been worth it.
and the truck with a overly-tounge heavy load of oak firewood.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals