• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OBD2 troubles

Dizzysmoosher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1999 ranger 2.5l rwd Obd2 scanner won't power up or link to vehicle. It used to though. I've used my scanner in other vehicles no problem, tried my uncles scanner and advance auto scanner with the same result. Here's what i've found so far:

- OBD2 has its own dedicated fuse port (#5) which there was no fuse in, weird because the scanner has worked many times in the past
- put 10amp fuse in the port
- tested all fuses especially #5 (OBD2) and #17 (cigar) and im getting 12 volts
- tested all relays, they click and show resistance of 60ohms
- replaced battery because it had a dead cell
- on the OBD2 port I tested pins 4 and 5 for continuity and they were good
- tested pin 16 and it has 12 volts
- pin 7 with the igition on and off and it has 0 volts. It is the light blue/white wire

Did I miss any steps? I'm pretty sure pin 7 is the problem and if so how do I chase down this bad connection? I tried to see where the wire goes but I got lost in a huge mess of wires. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals