• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BroncoII Corral BII Facts

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I was just looking at this page

http://www.broncoiicorral.com/facts.htm

It says under misc facts "1984-1985 Bronco II's had optional opening glass on the rear hatch. None of these had the rear the window wiper or defroster." I note that my 87 XL has opening glass and the original brochure I have for the BII 87 model year lists "Flip-open rear window" as an option on XL models (920A and 921A configurations), standard on one XLT configuration (931A) but still optional on XTL 922A configuration. It is also standard on one Eddie Bower (933A) Configuration, but otherwise isn't available as an option on the other XLT and Eddie Bower configurations.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
On later models the window only pops open a couple inches, but in 84-85 there was also an access window option

Attachments

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
On later models the window only pops open a couple inches, but in 84-85 there was also an access window option
I don't know about the window that only pops open a couple inches. My 87 has a full flip open window like shown in your picture.

I suppose it is possible that the prior owner replaced the lift gate at one point and it isn't the original one. The door key works on both the lift gate and door locks, but I supposed if swapped they could have moved over the lock cylinder too.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
afaik the access window was only avail in 84-85 models so if you have it on an 87 then its most likely been swapped by a PO.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While searching for my latest Bronco 2, I looked at quite a few 87s with flip open rear windows. I acquired all dealers sales brochures from 86 thru 90. All listed the "flip open rear window" as an option except in 1990.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
While searching for my latest Bronco 2, I looked at quite a few 87s with flip open rear windows. I acquired all dealers sales brochures from 86 thru 90. All listed the "flip open rear window" as an option except in 1990.
Did they flip all the way up like the picture above or just open a couple inches?

I think Spede Demn point was an access window option is the one where the window goes all the way up like pictured and it was limited to just the two years.

I was just questioning the stated fact, if you saw a bunch more 87 where the window goes all the way open, that seems to argue that it wasn't as limited as the facts page suggest.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The windows opened all the way as in the photo. When you think about it, why go to the trouble of adding hinges and a latch if it doesn't open all the way?

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
The later ones might be referred to as "flip out windows" because of the "flip" style latch inside the truck, that style was available through all production years. I searched over a year for a parts truck with an access window and found them to be most common in '84 models, and a few '85s, but never on anything newer, Im pretty sure they were only a factory option for the two years but it would be easy for ppl to swap the rear hatch so Im sure there is a few exceptions out there.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lance, what is a flip style latch? Because Ford didn't want passengers riding in the cargo area, they made no provision to open the hatch from inside. I've owned 3 B2s and looked at dozens. I can't figure out what you mean by flip style latch. The brochures said "flip open rear window", not flip out.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I was just guessing it might have a latch inside, can u show some pics with the window open? I only have one window that opens and it has gas shocks to hold it up like the above pic, my other B2s all have fixed windows.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
I used to think that they only came in the 84-85's, but since i've been looking for the hinges for mine, i've seen several 87's with the flip up windows. (all of which had the hinges missing of course) still looking if anyone has a spare set laying around. :D

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Might also be possible they quit making the window parts in '85 but it took a couple years before they ran out of stock???

I just happy to have one that opens now because I just replaced my fixed window hatch today, tinted glass, all 4 new gas shocks. I like it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals