• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L manual engine and tranny swap to a '83 B II

a2litl2l8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Planning on doing a 91-94 4.0L with manual 5 speed swap into my '83 B2. I need to know a few things. Transfer case do I just the B2 case or the one from the Ex. Drivelines will the B2 drivelines work or do I need the Ex lines or a combo of both of them. Fuel system...what is easiest....a later B2 tank with sending unit????? Thanks guys starting this in July excited to work on a car that is not needed at the moment ya know....I can take my time and not be stressed about getting to work the next day lol.

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Hmm. Always fun, this swap. Is the "X" transfercase manual? Driveshafts will need to adjusted for length. Also, need to use the transfercase driveshaft end for which ever driveshaft that you use. Fuel system, can be done a couple of ways. I used the tank from an 85 BII, the sending unit, but, the fuel pump from the "X". existing fuel line became feed line, ran a return line, using parts from the "X", added fuel pump circuit. Had to cut my underhood harness for the alternator, trigger wire. reused radiator. 5 years since swap.

a2litl2l8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm. Always fun, this swap. Is the "X" transfercase manual? Driveshafts will need to adjusted for length. Also, need to use the transfercase driveshaft end for which ever driveshaft that you use. Fuel system, can be done a couple of ways. I used the tank from an 85 BII, the sending unit, but, the fuel pump from the "X". existing fuel line became feed line, ran a return line, using parts from the "X", added fuel pump circuit. Had to cut my underhood harness for the alternator, trigger wire. reused radiator. 5 years since swap.
Here is my plan, I am buying a '92 X. Manual tranny's are hard to come by here, so this one has an auto. It also has a 4 inch lift. I will swap axles and use the lift kit that is on the X. I am also using the engine and harness from the X. I am going to buy a 5 speed manual from a junk yard here, as well as the manual ECM. I am hoping to use the transfer case that is on the B2 I am told that the BW1350 ('83 B2) and the BW1354M (M5OD) are interchangable. So if I do that, M5OD + BW1350 (original transfer case from B2) what drive lines am I going to need? I am sure they will have to be custom but I don't even know where to start.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals