• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hauling Hay

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988 Ranger XLT 2.9L 5 speed 4x4 running on 32" bfg mud and all terrains. Ive hauled 4 bales of hay no problem, but was wondering how much i can put in the bed. 4 bales makes the tires tuck to the wells with no rubbing. I do plan on getting bigger/stiffer suspension for it to increase the gap between the 32s and wheel wells.
thanks all

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I used to haul square bales at about 3x2 and 4 tall in the bed of my older 1984 2.8l ranger (4wd), it did great! I would upgrade your leaf springs and shocks in the back. I have seen my neighbor fit up to 3 round bales on the back of his ranger, I thought he was crazy, but it worked (and was bottomed out driving all the way home). I ran standard tires on mine though, nothing big or fancy.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Four bales makes it tuck? Wow your suspension must be wore out.

I can say I've had 74 bales on my obs f350 dually. That made it tuck a little lol

Sent from my iPhone.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Your lift kit is your problem the springs are most likely weaker than stock springs so you can't haul as much without really squatting the back end of your truck. Your best bet is to remove the lift, put the right size wheels/tires on it, or get a different non-lifted truck for hauling/towing. I noticed a lot of lifted trucks really suck at hauling due to the weaker springs used during the lift. Kind of dumb really, you would think the lift springs would be heavier duty. Some of the newer lift kits I think offer heavier springs to keep the sag from happening, but early lift kits had weaker springs from what I've found.

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure if its lifted that much since the 32s are pretty close to the wells as is. i want to add more spring/better shocks to it anyway. I bought the truck as my first car and its 4wd and my diesel needs a trans and my 78 f150 is only 2wd so it got stuck in the mud. I can fit 4 bales down the length of the bed, as where my 78 can fit 5, and 2 on the side. thats more about bed size than anything. when i get home i will post a picture of what i mean about the wheels not having much clearance as is.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Without stressing the frame 2500lbs seems to be the max for hauling in the Rangers. You can always add more leaves/overload springs but the frame can only handle so much. If you haul heavy loads every day it takes it toll on the little truck fast.

Otherwise you can go to the junk yard and find leaf springs from other Rangers and start cutting/adding them to your set. Use the stock leaf pack and use the extra leaves as overload springs (flat ones not coupled with the leaf pack). I do it on all my trucks and it works great. Work with the stock overload leaf and cut the other leafs a little longer then each other with the stock overload leaf as the base leaf.

I use 2 inches as the overlap for each leaf until the last overload leaf meets the stock leaf that is curved in the actual leaf pack. Doing that doesnt allow the leaf pack to bow in the reverse position as it would if you overloaded it stock. It instead gets stopped by the longer overload spring you added and that spring gets stopped by the next all the way down the line so the leaf pack sits flat no matter how much weight is in the truck.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are almost having troubles with four bales of hay (50 lbs ones?), you really need some rework of that suspension. All Winter I ended up running with almost 600lbs in the bed with no deflection at all. Got a 2000 4x4 off-road edition.
Dave

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you want to fit more bales, tip them up. or stack them and tie them down. i fit 4 straw bales no problem with a tool box...when you stack them you could probably get 10-15ish i would say.

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
15 is almost 3/4 ton. I know she can handle more, but my suspension squats with 4. I wan to put stiffer or more leaves on. It bounces a lot with no weight in the bed. I have a 78 f150 that I could easily put 1 ton in the bed. But that gets 10mpg of 92 so it's expensive to drive. I do also plan on lifting the ranger more.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a picture of what the truck sits like empty and what the undercarriage looks like?

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
Not at the moment. Was headed outside to to take pictures though. Ill post them when I get to my dads since my phone won't post pictures.

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
I could also throw some bales of hay in the bed to show the squatting I'm talking about.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
These are round bales then (100lb) right?

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a picture of what the truck sits like empty and what the undercarriage looks like?
here you go! kind of hard to tell, but theres the gap between my 10.50" wide tire and the leaf.
im trying to get the other one to load, but its not working.

These are round bales then (100lb) right?
No, they are the 2 tie rectangles. about 75lbs each.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals