• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump circuit troubleshooting

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I have a no start situation. Fires on starting fluid. I tested fuel pump relay good. I then tested voltage at roll over switch at about 7 volts with key on? Not sure if I was getting good ground with my meter probe. I ran out of time and need to test some more, but just looking for a few suggestions before I get back out there. Fyi bought vehicle unknown history and got her running a couple weeks ago but had a fuel leak at tank and sender unit. I replaced the tank and sending unit and hesitantly reused the original pump. I just want to make sure I diagnose all before I buy a new pump and it doesn't fix the problem.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Year and engine??

Year will tell you if there is one or two fuel pumps.

12volt power for the fuel pump(s0 itself runs like this:
Battery----Fuel pump Fuse(30amp)------Fuel pump relay(green base)-----inertia switch------fuel pump(s)

Fuel pump(s) ground is often near the inertia switch but can be at the frame rail by the tank.

Remove fuel pump relay there will be 4 connections in the socket, key off, test for 12volts at each contact, if not found fuel pump fuse is blown.
If found that is the fuel pump power from the battery, NOT relay power.

Turn key on, test for 12v again, second 12v contact is the Relay power that comes from the EEC relay(brown base).

One of the two remaining contacts runs to inertia switch and the other to the computer.

With key on the relay has 12volts but no ground so relay is OFF and not passing the 12v power to the fuel pump(s).
The computer controls the Ground for the relay.
When key is first turned to on, computer starts, and it grounds the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds, and then fuel pump will stay off until engine starts OR you turn the key off and then on again.

The inertia switch is in the passenger foot well or kick panel, it is a simple IN/OUT switch with a reset button on the top.
It has a weight inside and if the vehicle ever stops suddenly(accident), or rolls over, this weight will trip the switch and cut power to fuel pump(s).

If you hook up a test light/volt meter to a good ground and either contact on the inertia switch, then when key is turned on you should see voltage there for 2 seconds.
If so relay and fuse are good.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Its an 89' 2.9l. Tested today 12.7v at inertia switch. Next I have to check is the fuel sending unit connector. There are 4 wires I believe in that connector. I think 89' has only one pump correct? Thanks for the flow chart btw.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
If your battery is weak or on it's way out that can cause not enough voltage to fire the injectors and other circuits.As my Bronco wouldn't start this morning and was geting a code 96 fuel pump secondary circuit fault or EEC to battery fault.Replaced the relay and went to start and the battery went down to 6 volts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I think '88 was the last year of the dual pump system.

Yes there should be a 4 wire connector by the fuel tank
Diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

Pink/black wire from inertia switch has the pumps 12v
Black wire is the pumps ground, it may also be near the inertia switch on a common ground point, but may be located on a frame rail ground point.

Yellow/white wire goes to fuel gauge, it uses an Orange wire for it's ground

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I understand. I did have a running vehicle with jumper cables on it as well to eliminate that possibility. And thanks for the schematic RonD. I'm going to test harness connector at sender unit for power and good ground next I have a chance. If test is good, I'm assuming my pump is bad. Unless something is wrong at the sending unit inside the tank(loose wire etc.)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the sending unit and the pump are separate circuits, that's why there are 4 wires.
They share the same assembly but electrically they are not connected together.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The four pin harness connects to the top of the sender that holds the fuel pump and transfers power through to it via the connector. Not referring to to fuel level resistor circuit. Going to test pink/black wire for good power feed and test black wire for good ground.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Jumpered fuel pump relay and had 12.57v at the fuel pump harness connector. Also checked continuity down to the pump motor itself. I then went to auto store and bought a new pump and installed pump. She now purs like a kitten. Thanks to everyone for the good help. On to the next project(rear sill and crossmeber replacement and bodywork) woo hoo!! Not really. I hate body work. Lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks RonD!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals