• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'87 302 Oil Pressure Sender

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have my truck tore down to fix a some leaks related to the oil filter relocation kit and while I am here I would like to get the factory gauge working on the dash.

Is there a way to mount a can type sender on this engine? The regular 2.8 one is too big to fit in there, the oil filter adaptor is plain and simple too tight... I don't see where this thing could go. Looking online the regular 302 ones look the same. If I put a nipple and a coupler in the regular port I think it will be into the power steering pump.

I am running the front dress with the one short micro-v belt something like what I hear a '87 Crown Vic has... the more I am around it the more I don't like it.

skx762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, you pointed out something ELSE I need to change out. @@

Does yours have a long hex adapter between the block and the sending unit? On my current set up it has a small sending unit going right into the same hole that the hex adapter goes into and it has a thin line that runs all the way back to the gauge.

The hex adapter on my new block bolts into a hole between the timing chain case and oil filter area sort of and has a small bell shaped thing that could be called a "can" I guess.

Don't know if that helps and I am stretching my mechanical vocabulary. Trying hard not to use the word "thing-a ma-jig".

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope, pictured is what it had originally. Just a on/off switch for an idiot light.

skx762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got an oil line coming out of that spot that goes to my pressure gauge. Since you showed me yours, I will show you mine:

The pressure gauge is a no name product.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I used the extension off my 4.0, to a black pipe Y fitting, the after market large sender on top (2 wires), the dash sender on the bottom.
If you look closely, the extension is painted blue, with teflon tape on the threads. The extension ends with a 45* angle. You're looking at the lower radhose and top of the steering box here.

The engine originally had no extension, as seen below:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, I don't remember my 2.8 having an extension like that, I will have to check that out.

Right now I just have a line coming out of that port for my mechanical gauge, but I really don't like the dead gauge on the dash. I can move the mechanical to the oil filter adaptor because it is much more compact than the can thing.

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Autometer sender wouldn't fit in there on mine, so I went to the hardware store and bought some pipe to locate it further away from the engine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Autometer sender wouldn't fit in there on mine, so I went to the hardware store and bought some pipe to locate it further away from the engine.
I thought about that, but just eyeballing it by the time it clears the block it interfers with the steering box. Dunno if I could get a 45 degree elbow to end up going the right way and clear everything. It seems everytime I have to rely on pipe thread it is loose right where I want it and either way looser or in danger of stripping something otherwise.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I grabbed the fitting of my 2.8, I had to get down to oil pan level to see it. Short stubby hex fitting that is a lot thicker than I think it would have to be, with all the grease on it it looked like a boss sticking out of the block. Cleaned it up, taped it, stuck it on pointing down and ahead and it fit great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals