• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Ranger Center Console Repair

DarkMax

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Original Poster: DarkMax

Difficulty: 7 out of 10 (spring is very hard to load)

Time to install: 30 minutes

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: Removing or flipping the spring in the center console to stop it from opening automatically.

CAUTION: Pics were taken after this process was completed. The hinge by default has 3 springs in it, i recommend only placing one back in when reassembling.

Tools:
Small Hammer
Very small punch
Philips Screwdriver
Different sets of needle nose pliers, angle head NN pliers will work the best
Optional-C clamps or Vice Grips

1. Remove the center console from the ranger.
2. Either peel the felt off the top and bottom or just the 4 corners on both felt pads.

3. Remove all 8 screws(4 on top and 4 on bottom).
4. The top part and bottom piece should now easily come off, remove them

5. Take out the 8 screws holding the hinge in place.

6. Insert a small punch in the end of the hinge and hammer it out a little bit, the use pliers to pull the rod out of the hinge(one side of the rod is painted black and is hammered flat, use the punch in the opposite side)

7. With the springs out, you can put the rod back in by itself and reassemble the whole console and it wont force itself to open or close.
8. If you want the console to have pressure holding it closed, insert the rod till it is halfway poking through the first spring slot.
9. With the bracket in the CLOSED position, put the spring back in place with one tab of the spring on the TOP of the bracket twards the side you are inserting the rod.

10. Using needlenose pliers, bend the spring around so will pushing UP on the BOTTOM piece of the hinge.

11. Still holding the spring loaded, have a friend push the rod in with a hammer or pliers so it slides through the spring and into the next part of the hinge.

12. I reccomend only putting one spring in, it has plenty of push to keep the lid down firmly. Push the rod through the hinge the rest of the way, and reassemble the console. C clamps or vice grips will help with reinstalling the hinge onto the cover, put the screws in the top of the console, then the bottom.
13. Press the felt back down or use glue to stop edges from curling.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely need pictures.

DarkMax

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No, i was merely tinkering with my console when i did this, and didnt care if it broke. I can take final pics of where the spring is and whatnot, but it was a pain getting that spring in place. Ill post a few pics in an hour...

DarkMax

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Pictures added, however all images are AFTER the one spring is added and reversed. There is normally 3 springs in the hinge before you disassemble it.

dock83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazada
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I kept it closed after breaking the clip with too earth maginets one epoxyed too the cover and one too the console. Got the maginets out of a hard drive. Holds really well even hard too open some times.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I kept it closed after breaking the clip with too earth maginets one epoxyed too the cover and one too the console. Got the maginets out of a hard drive. Holds really well even hard too open some times.
lol that's weird, I did the same thing. The only difference is that I used one earth magnet from a hard drive on one side and a piece of metal on the other so that it wouldn't be strong enough to end up breaking the plastic over time. I also used screws to fasten mine to the plastic and it's been holding fine for a few years now. Nice mod with the spring though, good that people know that they can use a center console from the junkyard even if it has a broken clip.

wtn4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe i am weird but i used velcro works good :headbang:

Naterenfo1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD!
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks alot DarkMax! My clip just broke today, and the top piece that is the "armrest" has several cracks in it from putting too much weight on it, now I know how to replace it! :yahoo: I also really like the earth magnet/metal idea, good thinking! nice to see some good american innovation goin on here

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Used. Thanks.

PurpledDeRanger

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Definitely going to do this one. Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals