• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modified Overhead Console

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok another interior project - this time I decided to modify my Explorer Overhead Console. Now why in the world would I modify it? Well I wanted a place to put my radar detector and not use the suction cups or a visor clip, and get rid of that damn cord hanging down to the power outlet.
So I decided to remove the display since mine was not hooked up anyway. SORRY but I did not take build pics as I was not sure what I was going to do until I actually had done it. So a diary so to speak . . .

I started by taking the console apart - completely. I broke out the trusty ole Dremel and began cutting the opening where the green plastic was to make it larger. I kept the detector handy so I could determine the proper size.
Once I was happy with the front I turned to the back (closest to windshield) and began cutting it out so the detector could slide through the console and have unimpeded vision of the road ahead.
Alright - all openings cut, not time for the fiberglass . . . I wrapped my detector in aluminum foil to protect it and began laying a few layers of chop mat onto the bottom and sides of the protected detector. I also added a strip of cloth around the sides to add strength.
After is cured I pulled the FG off and unwrapped the detector - perfect fit. I trimmed up the detector sleeve and began to fit it into the console. I determined how much of the sleeve would be needed and trimmed off the rest. The remaining section was epoxied into the console and backfilled with Great Stuff Expanding foam. I trimmed up the foam, added some more and began to determine where to add body filler. After the foam was trimmed and sanded I added some filler around the opening and to the seams between the black and gray sections of the console, effectively making them one.
The remote pocket was also modified, I removed the remote actuator button and FG'd it smooth. Here are the final pics after I sanded, primed and painted with VHT Wrinkle Finish paint.

First coats are still glossy - not wrinkled yet.

Inside the Remote Pocket

Dried and Wrinkled

The detector pocket and the remote pocket will both get lined with a soft material like felt to protect their contents. The detector will just slide in with a little push (sleeve holds it snug) and the power cord will be run directly to the fuse box, I ordered a special straight cord from the mfr.

Now no one can see my detector when it is on tempting them to follow me on the highway instead of buying their own damn detector - LOL.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok here it is installed

Still have to use the coiled cord until my straight one arrives, then I will hide it away.

Also now I have no map buttons, oh well I may fab something in later.

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
nice I just picked up one from an o2 explorer yesterday and fab it in. I ran it down under headliner through A-pillar on driver side down under dash to fuse box. and it works like a charm. But I do like your idea of a radar hidden their.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Nice idea and I like the Wrinkle Paint job, sweet...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals