• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ford ranger xlt prerunner 302 swap

Lbean122214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
So im stuck in a pickle, i have an 88 ranger 2wd with the 2.9 and 5 speed. Its got 4 or 6 inch bulged front fenders, and flared back fenders, 6 inch lift 33s, front and back tubular bumper and skid plate on front. But anyways ive been wanting to swap a 302 for a while. My boss asked if id trade him my dirt bike for his 1985 mustang gt with a c4. Also im in the process of aquiring a 90s mode explorer it sit nextdoor at my in laws so i see it everyday, just sits there. But how easy would the swap be with both donor vehicles? I would go carbuerated at first and slowly gather parts for the fuel injecton swap i already have intake manifold and carb. Thanks!!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Fortunately you have two of the best donors to work with. The 85 302 has forged pistons and roller cam and a good intake and carb set up. The explorer has the best front accessory dress set up to use. The Explorer motor could have the normal GT40 heads which are a great upgrade over the E5 heads on the mustang motor or it could have the GT40P heads which are slightly better but will require better springs and headers are tricky.

I just did a very similar swap on my 86 bronco2 and I have lots of pix and vids in my build thread here.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174354

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
aside from wiring i think itd be a pretty easy. autofab has bolt on conversion engine mounts for your truck. just make a trans cross member and start roastin tires!

Lbean122214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Awesome i still need to find out if the explorer has the 5.0 or not if not mu boss said to take the towers and mounts off of the mustang 302 and line it up in my ranger, and also the transmission cross member also. He said just get the motor and tranny lined up pretty close then to mark where the holes on the cross member line up on the ranger frame and drill new holes and bolt it up. Will the mustang motor mounts work? Also he said i can drop the mustang rear end and it would fit perfect on my ranger? Is this true? Im just trying to get as much info as i can before i trade him my dirtbike for everything. And thank you guys for the info and ill definitely be going through your thread!

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome i still need to find out if the explorer has the 5.0 or not if not mu boss said to take the towers and mounts off of the mustang 302 and line it up in my ranger, and also the transmission cross member also. He said just get the motor and tranny lined up pretty close then to mark where the holes on the cross member line up on the ranger frame and drill new holes and bolt it up. Will the mustang motor mounts work? Also he said i can drop the mustang rear end and it would fit perfect on my ranger? Is this true? Im just trying to get as much info as i can before i trade him my dirtbike for everything. And thank you guys for the info and ill definitely be going through your thread!

No you’ll need conversion motormounts. Autofab.com has em cheap or you can make em. The trans crossmember might work, I doubt it though. It’s easy to make one of those. and the mustangs rear end will be way too narrow for a ranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would politely thank your boss then throw his advice away.

You can use mustang motor mounts but I wouldnt trust then in a PreRunner. I use Jame DUff mounts and in my pics and vids show you exactly where to mount them to the frame.

If the Explorer is not a 5.0 truck the only thing on it you could use would be the 8.8 axle. A foxbody 8.8 will not come close to working.

The trans mount you have can be made to work with a c4 buy making a bolt on plate to extend about 4-5" forward to catch the c4 mount. Or you can look up Ricks Rangers on ebay and buy one of his bolt in high clearance cross members that will work perfectly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW if the Mustang really does have a C4 I don't think it was original.

Sure wish someone would trade me an '85 Mustang for my dirt bike...

Convertible foxbody mounts are semi popular for V8 swaps, no idea how the compare for prerunning but I wouldn't use 33yo engine mounts anyway.

Lbean122214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So ive been talking with my bosses one of which has done a lot of motor swaps, has a 351 in the old explorer truck and a 460 in his bronco. But anyways he said if i can get f150 302 motor mounts and towers that i should be able to swap them in as he just found 351 mounts for a truck and put them in his explorer truck. Can i use f150 or explorer mounts? And what did you do for the rearend? I would love a 9inch but woild settle for an 8.8. Im just trying to make sure i have everything for the swap before i let go of my dirt bike. Sorry for all the questions and such but im tryingto draw up a plan for everything. Thanks guys!!!

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals