• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speaker Recommendation for a ’92 Ranger?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

Recently picked up a ’92 Ranger Custom with a Kenwood aftermarket stereo and the (4) original stock speakers. The old speakers are pretty blown and sound like crap. Does anyone have a recommendation of what to replace them with and where to buy them? I’m not looking to add an amp or have a system that wails, just something that sounds decent and can be cranked up a little from time-to-time if I get a wild hair.

As an example, back in the day, I added an aftermarket stereo to my ’86 F150 along with a pair of round 6.5” Pioneer speakers from Sears in the cab and I was thrilled with the result. So nothing too crazy needed.

Thanks! :icon_thumby:

PS - On a side note, the stereo in the truck is Bluetooth capable and I managed to connect my iPod using it. However, when I do, I only get audio out of the speakers on the driver’s side of the truck (mono)? Don’t really know much about BT, so if anyone knows why this might be, I’d appreciate it. :beer:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I ordered my speakers from Crutchfield. OEM size. My '93 standard cab has 2 speakers behind plastic grills in the corners behind the seats and 2 in the door panels.

Don't know about your bluetooth issue. If you're sure it is only bluetooth that messes up, then it sounds like an issue internal to the head unit. But that's just a guess without being able to troubleshoot it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered my speakers from Crutchfield. OEM size. My '93 standard cab has 2 speakers behind plastic grills in the corners behind the seats and 2 in the door panels.

Don't know about your bluetooth issue. If you're sure it is only bluetooth that messes up, then it sounds like an issue internal to the head unit. But that's just a guess without being able to troubleshoot it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hey, thanks EP.

Went to Crutchfield.com and oh, man. So many choices. Here are the selections for the fronts alone (like your ’93, my ’92 has two in the door panel and two in the corners behind the seats). https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?l=C&pg=1
Are there any here that folks can recommend from experience? I don’t have a lot of experience with buying audio products, other than the aforementioned Pioneers, 20-some years ago. Thanks! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That link you posted doesn’t show any specific speaker. Just takes you to the crutch field website.

A few name brands that are popular, but well within a budget are pioneer. Alpine. Jbl. Polk. Rockford fosgate. Infinity. Kenwood. And kicker.

I’d recommend these speakers for what you’re after. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/362217306548
Weird. On my computer, it brings up all the options for my Ranger. Must be that the site is remembering my system ID and pulling up my previous search criteria when the page is loaded. Thanks for your thoughts. :beer:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No problem. Glad to help

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
For what you want, you could just go to Wal-Mart. they have complete stereo packages, head unit and four speakers for less than 100 bucks.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For what you want, you could just go to Wal-Mart. they have complete stereo packages, head unit and four speakers for less than 100 bucks.
Thanks, but I already bought speakers from Crutchfield for about $115.00. I suspect that the head unit is junk (too bad, because it has a lot of higher end capabilities). Only way I can think of to test it is to hook it up to a 12 volt battery, then lay out all of the speakers with brand spanking new speaker wires and see how she plays. Which of course would be another investment. I’m kind of afraid to dump more money into a new head unit, for fear that it will turn out to be something else, somehow. Argh. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals