• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting my permit

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
As a few of you know I'm 15 and thursady is the day I'm taking the test for my permit. :yahoo:Any tips or tricks??

Alan.H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
answer everything sarcastically, pretend the laws are the same as in grand theft auto!

JK! when taking the test, imagine each question, that you are behind the wheel... look at it from a common sense stand point.

Good luck

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Read the drivers handbook. Its an extremely easy test

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very easy test. Read the book and you'll do great! (assuming cali has a handbook)

My fiancee didn't even look at it when she got hers. :D

Now she's ALMOST ready for her road test. I think she should practice her parallel parking and anti-road-rage skills. But she's anxious, and I'm sick of driving everywhere.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's common sense, you shouldn't need to read the driver's book... but if you're really worried about it, do it.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
If the driving test is done with a cop, then you are going to fail first time. Nobody passes their first driving test when they are young (yes, Moore OK cops can be a pain). So, from past experience, drive a vehicle with an automatic. This way, they can't fail you for coasting down hill (which they failed me for, apperantly having the clutch pressed in and tranny in gear is consider "coasting".)

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm from Nor Cal originally, and when I took the test, it was a snap. Super easy. Just read the book, because there are some questions that seem to go against common sense. Very simple though.

Best of luck!

-Denny

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its easy lol. When i took my learners a few years back it wasnt even relativly hard. Just common sense like "Do you stop for the stop sign? Yes/No" :icon_twisted:

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As others have said, permit test is a walk in the park.

Now, I'm going to give you some tips for when you are practicing driving for your license test:

1. With a parent with you (obviously), start driving in low traffic areas for practice, then move up to medium. I wouldn't try heavier traffic til maybe the last 2 months you have your permit, depending on what your area considers "heavy traffic".

2. PRACTICE YOUR PARALLEL PARKING! this is usually the only annoying part of a license test. Also, make sure to make a habit of using your blinkers when parallel parking, it's the most common thing people for get to do. I had to also do a reverse straight park (backing into a normal space) so you might want to practice that too.

3. Also make a habit of becoming highly familiar (if you aren't already) with every control button/knob/switch/lever in the vehicle you will be driving. Familiarity with the machine isn't AS important with most tests as you usually don't use anything beside the wheel, the pedals, and turns signal during a test but it reduces stress when you are familiar with everything. Trust me.

Good luck :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Adding to Blue's advice, the most important thing is to be confident. If your not confident and freaking out during the test, you WILL mess up. Just be calm, confident, and know that you will be fine. Driving isnt hard, just takes practice and confidence.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Adding to Blue's advice, the most important thing is to be confident. If your not confident and freaking out during the test, you WILL mess up. Just be calm, confident, and know that you will be fine. Driving isnt hard, just takes practice and confidence.
Confidence does to your brain what NOS does to your engine.:headbang:

Also, and I'm only speaking from my experience, the instructors aren't NEARLY as intimidating as, for example, being pulled over. Just throwing that in, in case you had thought they might be. (I did)

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not to concerned about it. Just excited to finally be able to drive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just spent every free study hall reading the hand book. Just read it cover to cover and when I was done I started over. Started that about 3 months before my test. By the time the day of my test came along, I could all but recite the book from memory.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals