• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco II need help with electrical

Klinton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guy, this is my first post. Been looking on the forums for a while and finally decided to sign up.

Anyways, I have an 86 chop top BII 2.9 auto with 4x4.

I bought it a week ago, and I was leaving the insurance office, and went to start it up, and it just started cranking and cranking but never started. The fuel pumps would not kick on, so I sprayed starting fluid to see if that was the only problem. It also had no fire. So no spark, no fuel. I swapped the fuel pump relay with a new one, and it still didn't kick the fuel pumps on. So it was cold and rainy that day and I had to get a ride home to take my mustang to work.

The next day I had it towed to a shop, and the found that there was a short somewhere in the wiring harness. So that fixed the fuel pump problem, and they said I need a new distributor. So the replaced it, and drive it about a mile and it died again. It messed up the new ignition module on the distributor. So today I stopped by and they said that they have gone through 3 ignition modules, and they keep messing up. They believe there is another short in the wire harness. So, any clue as to what might cause this? Also, I have a wire harness off of an 87 bronco 4x4 but it's a 5spd. Will that wire harness be a direct swap if I decide to change the whole wiring harness out?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals