• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Older Engine, Newer Truck?

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I have been doing some searching around, and even chatted with adsm08 a few months back about it. But swapping an older diesel engine into a newer ranger (example: 85 2.3 to 01 3.0) is illegal? I keep reading the EPA doesn't like the idea, but when thinking about it, I don't know many people who report they have done a legal engine swap either.

Example is a friend of mine put a 7.3l diesel (93 F250) into a 2005 f150.

I don't have emissions in my area, and the end question to this thread is: Can I get away with putting an older diesel into my truck without getting courted by the law?

I just want better gas mileage and the feel of my ranger as Im driving, I don't care about power or speed, just the ride.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes. Per EPA the "new" engine must be the same model year or newer and be a factory option in that vehicle, even the ever popular V8 swap is illegal in the eyes of the EPA.

The real question is, do you care about the legality? I know I don't. If you live in a state without inspections and don't think it will be an issue then swap away.

FWIW I'd try to get a 4bt before using an old Ranger diesel.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
what about the 2.5l Mitsubishi 4D56, 3.1l Izusu Pup, or the 2.2l toyota?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are in a kind of oddball territory there, at least as PA is concerned. You don't have emissions, in that you don't get a sticker, but you do have emissions. Tioga county is subject to what we call the "Enhanced 42 county safety inspection" which basically means they look at all the same stuff as the visual emissions counties, like Lycoming, but don't test the gas cap or give you a sticker.

Now on the other side of this issue, PA doesn't give a rat's furry ass what you do if you switch fuel types, so technically under PA law putting an old 4D55 in a truck that originally came with a gas engine is legal since swaps that change fuel types are considered "custom vehicles" and neither those nor diesels are subject to much of anything by way of emissions standards in PA.

Oh, and for the record, my 4.0 swap is legal.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What year is your truck, and what engine do you currently have? Have you done any math to figure out if you'd actually save any money by swapping? Diesel is expensive per gallon, a diesel often costs more to maintain than a similar gas engine and you'd spend money to do the swap. You may find that a swap like this isn't worth it for economic reasons, or it's just easier to sell the truck you've got, and buy something that meets your goals and doesn't have any questionable legality.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Well, I found a 87 southern ranger 2wd with a mazda in it for 3700 in decent shape, and I was just offered 4000 for my ranger.... so its tempting, but 49k miles vs whatever miles a 20 year old truck has is a little bit of a stretch, especially to lose the 4wd and AC lol.

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/4980696001.html

This is mine, although its just up to see if I get offers, I was offered $5500 from a Philly Dealership a while back.

I wanted to have the feel of my trucks handling and driving, with good gas mileage and the sound and smell of a diesel.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wanted to have the feel of my trucks handling and driving, with good gas mileage and the sound and smell of a diesel.
There are people out there that actually want the sound and smell of an old diesel? :icon_confused:

TDI swap would probably meet your goals of improved fuel economy without being super heavy and changing the way the the truck feels.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Diesel is expensive per gallon, a diesel often costs more to maintain than a similar gas engine and you'd spend money to do the swap. You may find that a swap like this isn't worth it for economic reasons, or it's just easier to sell the truck you've got, and buy something that meets your goals and doesn't have any questionable legality.
This
Diesels are good for long distance driving, not puttering around town-

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ditto...after 15 or more years yanking motors, heads, and all that noise...I don't think I've aged as well as my Ranger...but it's like a second wife to me...the first one died on me because I was rough on her...but she was a single cab from the start and I really just needed to find an Extended cab for us to both live together...

Wait...what did I just say? No...I...oh, wait, I haven't taken my meds...

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Ditto...after 15 or more years yanking motors, heads, and all that noise...I don't think I've aged as well as my Ranger...but it's like a second wife to me...the first one died on me because I was rough on her...but she was a single cab from the start and I really just needed to find an Extended cab for us to both live together...

Wait...what did I just say? No...I...oh, wait, I haven't taken my meds...

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
on that statement..... Now, I found a company that re-manufactures the 2.8, now.... what good was the 2.8 if it didn't have power, speed, or good gas mileage even for the time? The sound of the engine I did like though...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are people out there that actually want the sound and smell of an old diesel? :icon_confused:
IMO you can't hardly beat a diesel that isn't ashamed it is a diesel. :icon_thumby:

Mike Tonon

Well, I found a 87 southern ranger 2wd with a mazda in it for 3700 in decent shape, and I was just offered 4000 for my ranger.... so its tempting, but 49k miles vs whatever miles a 20 year old truck has is a little bit of a stretch, especially to lose the 4wd and AC lol.
Some of those old diesel Rangers had AC, 4wd and I think even CC. If you want certain options, I'd try to find a 2.3 diesel Ranger with those. They're rare, but I come across them from time to time.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Haha...I remember that actor...

on that statement..... Now, I found a company that re-manufactures the 2.8, now.... what good was the 2.8 if it didn't have power, speed, or good gas mileage even for the time? The sound of the engine I did like though...
Why go with a 2.8 when you could have a 2.3 Turbo Diesel...I would imagine that a newly built or even rebuilt engine is going to cost you some big money...what are you getting from it? Maybe...maybe 140 hp...if that...and you may need to buy some more performance parts to get that...

I was thinking of doing a 2.8 swap into my Ranger at one point but only because it was carbed and I already had everything I needed...but for what it's worth...you could swap in a 4.0 and the dash from a Gen III and call it a day!

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I like the carb myself, but through Rock Auto or a few other distributors, you can grab a low mileage or remanufactured 2.8 for about 1,600-1,800, the highest Ive seen for a 2.8 is 2,100. I was king of hoping to find a 2.3 D remanuf. because that's 4wd compatible with the ranger =p was the 2.1??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals