• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pan/pump questions

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I have a few questions pertaining to the 3.0 in my 1995 XLT 2WD:

1. My oil pan gasket is leaky and my oil pan is rusty and dented (previous owner put in a JY motor), so I bought a NOS Motorcraft oil pan on ebay. It looks to be the same, however, it seems to have an extra threaded port on the side. I presume this for an oil level sensor? Whatever it is, what thread is it, so I can plug it with something?

2. In regards to pulling said pan, what is the easiest way? I've read that it's easier to pull the motor than it is to remove it from the bottom. I'd have to buy an engine stand and hoist to do such. Alternatively, how difficult would it be to peforrm the job (the oil pan) by raising the engine with a support bar (such as the one Harbor Freight sells)?

3. I also have an oil pressure issue; my pressure fluctuates a lot. I recently replaced a faulty sender with a real variable sender (and shorted the resistor behind the cluster) which revealed the issue. Since the pressure isn't bottoming out (no flashing "check gauge" light) this issue would be an oil pump? FWIW the motor has about 120K on it; I replaced the cam syncro about 8k ago or so. I also recently changed the oil, which did not change the symptoms much.

csargents1546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The only way to get all the bolts out is to either pull the Trans or the motor. There are several bolts at the back of the pan that are inaccessible. Also when removing it in frame the pan has to go towards the back in order to clear the pump. You can rent the hoist. Check on Craigslist for an engine stand. Can usually be found cheap there.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
The only way to get all the bolts out is to either pull the Trans or the motor. There are several bolts at the back of the pan that are inaccessible. Also when removing it in frame the pan has to go towards the back in order to clear the pump. You can rent the hoist. Check on Craigslist for an engine stand. Can usually be found cheap there.
Noted- Stands are like $45 or so at harbor frieght (the cheapest one anyway), the hoist I will see about, as I don't like renting tools as that puts me in a time crunch, although having an engine stand could work in a pinch between rentals.

I've heard those bolts are accessible if one removes the inspection cover... ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals