• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 8.8 in to a 04 ranger

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at doing this swap.

What year explore should I be looking for and what all would I need to hook my ranger drive shaft and e-brake cables up?

I am pretty sure I have a bent axle from overloading the truck and the backing plate is all twisted too.
I figure @ 200k the stock diff has has enough

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buler???

I was able to find out I need a 95-01 axle and I need to relocate the spring pads and shock mounts.

What about the e-brake and driveshaft?

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
No choice that I know of but to rig up the e-brake as you like....I used cable & chain.

As far as the driveshaft, look for a dual pattern flange on the 8.8 you buy.

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am having a hard enough time finding a 4.10 8.8

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It might just be bad luck, but try targeting 95-96 2-door Explorers with manual transmissions. Almost every 2-door I saw was manual with 4.10 gears. All 2wd..

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It might just be bad luck, but try targeting 95-96 2-door Explorers with manual transmissions. Almost every 2-door I saw was manual with 4.10 gears. All 2wd..
Yeah. 2 doors no less stick are hard to come by. And 2wd?!?!? Not up here where we get snow

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Here ya go>>>

Yeah. 2 doors no less stick are hard to come by. And 2wd?!?!? Not up here where we get snow
=====================
Not sure where exactly you are in PA, but try this site, as there are quite a few rearends like your lookin for across the state:

Car-Part.com

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
=====================
Not sure where exactly you are in PA, but try this site, as there are quite a few rearends like your lookin for across the state:

Car-Part.com
Thanks, I always forget about them

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, got an 8.8 from a 98 explorer. Came with rotors, calipers and E-brake cables. 4.10s but no limited slip. I am going to have a Yukon Dura-Grip installed and the the bearings and seals changed for good measure.

Right now I have the axle assem pretty much stripped of all the brackets and I am trying to figure out where to weld the new spring perches. I found this thread here that says 6* http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.shtml
but if I am measuring My stock ranger axle correctly I am getting 8.5* (but not the easiest to do with the axle still in the truck. Also I can see they need to be 38.5" apart but kinda hard to tell where side to side

Can anybody shed some light on the pinion angle?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wimps way out (those who don't weld) - get the DJM brackets to lower an F-150. Installing them on top of Explorer axle will put the perches in correct location/pinion angle and you are done with the springs, then you just need to work out the shocks and swaybar mounts...

Solution #2: Cut mounts off your existing axle. Put the 8.8 on leveled jack stands on Explorer spring mounts. Place the mounts you cut off onto the 8.8 level and weld (aka parallel with the Explorer mounts). Explorer mounts can then be removed if desired.

Solution #3: Put 8.8 on jack stands on existing mounts; measure pinion face angle. Cut
off Explorer mounts, and reinstall on top, weld. If you only do one side at a time, you can maintain a reference and just keep mounts level.

Technically, the Ranger perches need to be a smidgen narrower than the Explorer's (equal amount on both sides) but there is enough compliance in the bushings/springs that you can install with them at the Explorer width.

My solution for the parking brakes was to calculate how much I needed to shorten the cable, then I took it to local garage door shop and had them swag ends on at the desired location. Works perfect on my daughter's '98 and looks so stock it passed the visual inspection.

p.s. Check the e-brake pads. My Explorer and F-250 both had ruined e-brakes...

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, NONE of you solutions help me since my mounts are already CUT OFF.

It will be getting all new e-brake hardware, shoes, rotors, calipers and e-brake cables

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got the axle in the truck today. Everything went smoothly up until the E-brake cables. I bought brand new Ford ones as not to deal with aftermarket junk.

I have my brake bracket relocated due to the chevy 1/2 ton springs I am running. I just welded a piece of square tubing to the spring hanger and then the brake to the tubing to keep in in the stock location. It has worked fine for the past 4 years and 100k.

But now I THINK I have the explorer bracket located on the bottom of the frame in in such a way it allows equal tension on both cables. but the PROBLEM is the passenger side cable will NOT stay on the small brake lever at the passenger wheel. It is aBEAR to get on and as soon as i release the e-brake, it springs right off. The cable can only go on one way, or am I missing something?

PLEASE help, I NEED an e-brake

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am pretty sure I figuered out the cable hoping off issue.

When i had the rear brakes apart and the E-brake lever apart to Un-seize it, I must have assembled the passenger side one wrong and it was not going all the way back to the release position and there for the cable could slide off the hook.

Went for a quick ride...

WOW, it stops on a dime now and I am pleased with my choice of the dura track post unit so far. Not grabby, but will easily spin the inside tire on a hard turn in gravel. Also the E-brake seems to hold better than the old drum brakes did

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals