• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yet another door ajar issue

carbuff

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, please dont shoot me. I know this issue has been discussed to death here and on other forums. But please humor me for a moment. This is whats going on with my truck. First off, the interior dome light wont go out. When the key is in run, the door ajar light is on all the time. The chime (ding, ding, ding) goes for about 12 times then a beep and then it goes off. It does not ding constantly. It goes off when the truck is started. If I sit in the truck with the doors shut and the ignition in run it will ding 12 times, beep then stop. If I then open the pass door it will beep once. Opening the driver door has no effect. So, the fact that opening the pass door causes a beep leads me to believe that the pass switch is ok. But, since the chime goes away when the car gets started I thought that indicated that the pass switch was bad. Also, the beep will beep once if I plug in my seatbelt too. Oh, its a 96 regular cab 2wd 3.3 manual. Ive wd40d the crap out of both sides. Also, inside my drivers door there is a plug thats not plugged into anything. It is very dirty like it has not been plugged in for a long time. Also there is this circular thing on the end of a factory wire that just sits in the bottom of the door. I dont know what it is. I have power locks mirrors and windows and they are all working fine. Wow, that was long. Is it possible that the sensor is unplugged and what I think is the sensor with the wires plugged in to it is actually the door lock solenoid? Does unplugging the sensor cause it to read "open door" ? Sorry for the book.

carbuff

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, after kind of ignoring this problem for a few days, the problem has fixed itself. I replaced the headlights today. So I turn on the lights and get the usual dinging from the chime because the lights are on and the door is open. I shut the door and the chime stops. I was like, wait a minute. I got inside with the key in run and no more door ajar light. I put the bulbs back in the interior dome light and it works with the door now. Im guessing that all the wd40 I sprayed on the switch finally worked its way inside of it. I hope it lasts.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spraying is only half the job.

Using the shank of a screwdriver, use it as the door latch hoop and open/close the door latch that you sprayed, DOZENS of times. Exercizing the latch quickly and repeatedly lets the WD40 flow where it needs to go.

Be sure you latch the latch in the door OPEN position before you shut the door, or a rude clunk will remind you. Tripping that latch to CLOSED is also a way to play tunes with the door open and no dinger.

carbuff

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im afraid to mess with it now. LOL! Thanks for the tip on the radio though. I didnt think of that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals