• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throw Out Bearing?

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone!

My truck is sitting at a shop waiting to be looked at in the morning and I wanted to get some advice here to back up whatever they may try to say is the problem.

I have a clicking sound coming from the transmission area. It appear to shift ok and I tested 1st and Reverse with no issues. The click sound goes away as long as the clutch is depressed.

I am hoping it is a throw out bearing as this would be under warranty. The clutch, pressure plate, slave, flywheel and throw out bearing were replaced a few months ago and just under 10,000 miles ago.

Any other possibilities?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That reads like throwout bearing

Any pressure on clutch pedal should make noise go away if thats the case

Pilot bearing is only used when clutch pedal is down

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
The shop just told me it was internal to the transmission which is what I was afraid they would say.

It is drivable but make a lot of noise and could fail at any point.

I am wondering about taking it to another shop nearby that is a coworker of mine. If it the work is the same I would rather them do it at this point.

Of course that is if I really want to put over $2,000 into a truck this old. I might as well. I have spend over $3,000 on the last 10 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does it makes the noise in Neutral with clutch pedal up?

Or does it only make the noise when moving with clutch pedal up?

M5OD-R1 is a reliable transmission, a used one is not a risky gamble
1999 only has the 2 Reverse Light wires.
So you could use any M5OD-R1, or R1HD from a 4.0l ohv/sohc 4WD Ranger made from 1990 to 2011/12
Or Mazda B4000 4x4
Explorer 4.0l 4WD as well but manual trans wasn't common

Popular abbreviation for this trans is M5R1
You shouldn't pay extra for HD model, just has an extra bolt hole you don't need
You often see rebuilt M5R1s with 1998 cut off and 1999 and up cost a little more, thats for the HD which you don't have, it was for the 4.0l SOHC engine had an extra bellhousing bolt, but same trans inside, you have 4.0l OHV

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
The noise is anytime the clutch pedal is up whether moving or stationary.

Thanks for all the info on the variants. I called BS on the shop saying there was only one in stock from his OH supplier. Maybe so but there are a bunch of these transmissions available out there.

At this point I am going to drive it to the other shop I have a lot of personal recommendations from.

The shop it is at is where the clutch was installed this past January but they are preying on the sense of urgency that I may or may not have.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if it is an Input gear problem, then when it goes you will only have 4th gear, but you will have 4th gear, hard on the clutch but you can limp home, or where ever you need to get to.
4th gear is a direct connection between input shaft and output shaft, 1:1 ratio, so doesn't use the input gear or any gears really.

Input gear issue was not at all common but was one thing that did fail in the M5OD-R1 when there was a problem.

Since you have a 4WD M5R1 it means you could get a used 2WD M5R1 and swap tail shaft and housing, not simple but not that hard either, another option.

With rebuilt you usually have to send them back your old one so they can rebuild it, the core charge, so be mindful of shipping costs

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron! I can always count on good information from your replies!

I drove it to a trusted transmission shop and indeed the transmission is the problem however this shop was less than half the price of the first shop and they will rebuild my transmission in house. No shipping, no core!

Decision time!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, always a hard decision when transmission or major engine issue shows up

You can keep anything on the road, lol, but it does come down to dollars and "sense" at some point

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals