• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spare tire problem

CharlesG131

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got my 2010 Ranger several months ago but cannot get the spare tire to lower.

I am using the same type of tool that I had with my last two rangers (2003 and 1998) and I can get it into the hole and turn but nothing happens.

I know it was working at the used car dealership where I bought it because I saw them put me in a full size spare as opposed to the doughnut tire that it had.

Is there a different tool to use as opposed to the one the I used on my 2003? I don't believe so. I have looked at the ones on ebay and they all appear the same.

If it won't lower the tire how do I get the mechanism off?

Thanks!

Chuck

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That dealership may have cranked the new tire so tight that the cable is lowering but the tire is stuck in place. I would lower the cable about 10 turns and then see if the tires moves, turn another 10 times and try moving the tire again. That my guess since you had them replace the small donut for a full size tire and the dealership probably cranked it tight.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can think of three things that could be the issue here.

1) The gears in the spare tire winch are plastic. If it was over-tightened they may have stripped. This wouldn't let the tire just drop, but it will also not let it winch down.

2) Some of those units had a security slug in them, similar to a locking lug nut. Without the key in place there is no way for the handle to engage the drive. You should be able to use a flash light to look down the tube and see if that is the case. If it is there will be a silver face with a squiggly circle, like a locking lug nut. If it isn't a security one there will be a black face with an oblong or square hole.

3) You are just missing the mark and not engaging the drive. I don't think this is all that likely, but I have seen it happen.

If something is wrong and you can't get it to winch down the only option is to stick a torch up in there, cut the cable, and replace the winch unit.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It could be wedged in there because of the larger tire size. Do you get resistance when first trying to lower it or does it turn freely? It may be you are not getting the tool fully engaged if it is turning freely. Sometimes, it is difficult to get the tool inserted into the lowering receptacle properly. I have even had it get stuck in there. You could try turning it in the tightening direction it to see if you get resistance.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My F-150 had the security tool. It ran away, my brother removed the security part on the winch so I could just use the end of the crank.

Tool is probably either in your glove box, with the jacking tools... or the dealer forgot to put it back in the truck. Might ask them how they changed the spare if it isn't in the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals