• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any 'Hobbit' fans?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
So, one weekend Vanessa and I were at Family Video and rented "The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey". It wasn't a movie I had wanted to see, I was just looking for something different to watch. I'm watching the movie really getting in to it and it suddenly ends! Really?

Fortunately, "The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug" was out, so I waited for it to hit the dollar movie and went to see it last night. I figured I would see the rest of the story. So again, I'm really in to it. It seems like it's nearing an end. I have this idea in my head how the movie/story will end, and suddenly, the movie ends!! WTF!!!

This producer is like a drug dealer. They got me addicted and I have to wait until next December to see the 3rd part. :bawling:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've watched only a bit of one movie and started reading the trilogy about 40 years ago...never finished the first book.

Some people love the movies and the books and there is so much "middle earth" stuff around now that it has become like Star Trek...so you are not alone.

Not sure why I can't get into it at all...weird on my part.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I like the story (read it) and even seen the animated version of it.

I, guess you can label me a purist of sorts have been put off by the movie production. I saw the first one and really, while I will probably see the second eventually, it probably won't be till I can get all of them together on DVD.

What I don't get is why the shortest book of the bunch is made into three movies? There just is not that much story there. Yes there are segments and natural end point before a twist. And I can make a good guess where this second book ended. It just is really stretching things out.

The lord of the rings Trilogy which picks up when Bilbo passes on the torch to his nephew, is three larger books. One long movie for each and it seemed just about right to me.

It just seems to me that turning the shortest book into three movies is more a matter of milking it for all it is worth than trying to do the story justice.

Now if you haven't seen the Lord of the Ring movies, and you like the Hobbit, I really suggest seeing them I really felt that unlike so many movie adaptations that they really did try and do those stories justice. I've only seen the theatrical editions, I don't know how the extended editions are. If they add to the story or just make it too long.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I probably wouldn't like it as much if I had read the book. I'd be to critical if it didn't follow the book.

I haven't seen Lord Of The Rings. I feel like I should wait until I've seen the 3rd movie in this series.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I probably wouldn't like it as much if I had read the book. I'd be to critical if it didn't follow the book.

I haven't seen Lord Of The Rings. I feel like I should wait until I've seen the 3rd movie in this series.
I agree, usually a movie doesn't live up to the book well. Lord of the rings movies do pretty good however. There is only one thing missing in the movies that was in the books.

Nothing wrong waiting on the third. Should only be 9 months.

It'll be longer before the next season of game of thrones is out on DVD.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I don't get is why the shortest book of the bunch is made into three movies? There just is not that much story there. Yes there are segments and natural end point before a twist. And I can make a good guess where this second book ended. It just is really stretching things out.
You sure do get the experiance you are walking there with them. If somebody gave those poor guys four wheelers or something to speed up the process the movies would be a lot shorter. :D

I am not really "in" to it that much, they are ok but they feel like a lot of work to get through. A lot of trivial minor stuff that doesn't really add to anything, kind of like if they detailed every gas stop in Smokey in the Bandit. Something minor that would have to happen for the story to continue but doesn't really add to the story...

They do a very good job with the scenery and music though, they are a very beautiful movie to watch.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The book was all by itself a sweeping epic and as it was a success
the Sequel "The Lord of the Rings" was published in three volumes

and they actually had to trim the story to make movies of it

the movie kind of "ends" because it took Peter Jackson three longish movies
to turn the one book "the Hobbit" into a movie....

Not "over" just "to be continued".

Be thankful as originally written everyone kept breaking into song at every step....

Read the books and you'll understand

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals