• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

460BB in an edge

jlr23402003

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I want to drop a 460 into a late model ranger edge. other than the obvious wow factor of that engine in that truck what can i expect to run into with this. What mods will need to be made to the firewall, fenders, radiator, hood etc. Also what should i look for as far as motor mounts? I also have the trans thatll sit with it. I know im going to have to get a custom driveshaft. any tips?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
someone posted awhile back about a 460 ranger in hot rod magazine,other than that stock up on cash.good luck with your project and take pictures fo us as you go.check the tech library,there is some v8 info there you need to check out.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Check out www.bigblockranger.com . He's putting a 460 (now 545cid) into an early Ranger. Not quite the same as your late model Edge, but he might be able to help you some.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on a very similar project very soon. I'm going out to 514 and dropping that in my Ranger. I can tell you right now, the factory steering box is in the way. There are a few ways around it. Cut the firewall and move the engine back, over the frame steering box, hydraulic steering, or a custom filter adapter where the block is machined and tapped for fittings to a filter relocator. It will fit but there are a lot more problem areas in relation to a windsor engine.

Matt

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on a very similar project very soon. I'm going out to 514 and dropping that in my Ranger. I can tell you right now, the factory steering box is in the way. There are a few ways around it. Cut the firewall and move the engine back, over the frame steering box, hydraulic steering, or a custom filter adapter where the block is machined and tapped for fittings to a filter relocator. It will fit but there are a lot more problem areas in relation to a windsor engine.

Matt
As I recall from reading on here the steering box is ok when you put a 4.6 into a non TIB Ranger, and the 460 is actually a tad narrower than the 4.6. Our old trucks are set up alot different than the newer ones.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
The '98-up Rangers have rack-n-pinion steering, so you won't have the steering box issues of the '97-earlier trucks. If you need to move the steering shaft over it's not too difficult of a task.

Another thing about the '98-up Rangers, the coil spring 2wd measures about 26" between the upper control arm mounts (side to side) and the torsion bar trucks (2wd and 4x4) only measure about 22".

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
My bad I'm thinking of the older trucks. I haven't been in the newer trucks too much yet, so I'm not too much help on that one.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals