• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302/ manual conversion

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 90 ford ranger xlt with the A4LD and 4.0l. The plan is to swap a 302 into it and a manual trans. I have the engine already and am starting to breaking it down to re build. I am also trying to start putting aside money for other part, radiator, headers, etc.

The question is, what will break the bank on this build? Other than actually buying the engine and trans. From what I can tell it will be the rebuild kit for the engine, or a custom exhaust. When I put the engine in, will it sit further back than the 4.0l or will it just be further forward? What company makes the motor mounts for this conversion?

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 90 ford ranger xlt with the A4LD and 4.0l. The plan is to swap a 302 into it and a manual trans. I have the engine already and am starting to breaking it down to re build. I am also trying to start putting aside money for other part, radiator, headers, etc.

The question is, what will break the bank on this build? Other than actually buying the engine and trans. From what I can tell it will be the rebuild kit for the engine, or a custom exhaust. When I put the engine in, will it sit further back than the 4.0l or will it just be further forward? What company makes the motor mounts for this conversion?
Trans Dapt makes the motor mounts kit, but some of us use 93 mustang convertible motor mounts to mount the motor in. It will sit forward, you might have to get a radiator http://www.ebay.com/itm/390648150682?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT to go inside the radiator core support, get the tri-y headers for an old mustang and so on. I just built my 84 ranger

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What will most likely break the bank? Depends on what you put into the engine--I spent $800 on engine shop work including new bearings, valve job, etc, $200 on the exhaust without buying a new muffler or headers, $200 on getting the driveshafts set up, $250 on trans and T/C and those are conservative estimates. It adds up quick if you don't have a cheap u-pull-it JY nearby.

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Luckily I work at the local junkyard, so I got my engine and tranny cheap. My boss told me tho that the 5 speed transmission I got from an 89' F-250 will bolt right on and is the same length as my A4LD that is currently in my truck. I don't know what the exact model of tranny is, I just know it's a mazda tranny.

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I also looked at the transdabt kit and it says for a 2WD, would that matter if it is just motor mounts and radiator?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Luckily I work at the local junkyard, so I got my engine and tranny cheap. My boss told me tho that the 5 speed transmission I got from an 89' F-250 will bolt right on and is the same length as my A4LD that is currently in my truck. I don't know what the exact model of tranny is, I just know it's a mazda tranny.
It would be an M5OD. A 97-08 4.2L F-150 M5OD has the shifter moved towards the rear like a Ranger transmission so you won't have to cut a hole in your floor up near the firewall for your shifter.

If you can I would trade, if you can't I would still find a different trans. Not worth it to me to have a huge hole in the floor of your truck from the firewall to the front of the seat (counting the hole that is there already)

The only real snag is the bolt holes to mount it to the engine are 12mm and a 5.0/302 takes 1/2" (12.7mm) so you have to drill out the holes, nothing to it. That and that most 4x4 5-speeds are 4.6L powered (totally wrong bellhousing pattern) and most 4.2L 5-speeds are 2wd. They are out there just not as popular.

And I would just make plates to sit on your stock V6 mounts. Lots more adjustability than Foxbody mounts. Since you work in a JY 5.0 Explorers already have them.

Last edited:

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What trans should I be looking for then? Should I just try and find a M5OD from a 4.2l, or something else? I know of a few that I could pull at work, but I don't know what the history on them is or even what they are.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What trans should I be looking for then? Should I just try and find a M5OD from a 4.2l, or something else? I know of a few that I could pull at work, but I don't know what the history on them is or even what they are.
97-08 4.2 with whatever drivetrain you want (I previously assumed you had a 4wd but now notice you don't say)

If you have a 4wd and want to keep it get a 4wd, if you have a 2wd and want to keep it a 2wd get a 2wd (there should be piles of 2wd M5OD's around)

If 2wd you will need a 97-98 (IIRC) to get a place to put your speedo. Will have to change some parts, look up Twister's BII build, he did a similar conversion with a late model T-case going into his BII. The speedo drive/VSS conversion is probably similar.

Last edited:

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do have a 4WD and I plan on keeping, being in Montana it's kinda needed. The trans I have, after doing some research, is a M5OD-R1. That is the one that I have found to be in the rangers and F-150's of the time.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not the same trans. 4WD would make the 97+ one easier since you can run whatever tcase for your speedo.

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will take a look tonight at work to see what we have. know for a fact that we have a trans from a 97 F-150 but i do not know what it is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at purchasing this conversation kit,http://autoplicity.com/1338644-allstar-performance-conversion-kit-302ranger?gclid=Cj0KEQiAisy1BRD7_YSgpduD2cEBEiQAPR3UuLklhwVI2zWCU3Z2GDF97vJglGtKhw66NHm5ZAN1-tEaAuGE8P8HAQ. Would it work with a manual trans, and will it fit a 4wd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Conversion kits are a good starting point when installing a 289 - 302 with a C-4 transmission combination into a 1982-97 Ranger 2WD
Header doesn't look very 4wd friendly. Just piece it out, those kits are ridiculously priced.

Gwilly65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What kind of Radiator and headers should I get

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals