• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best aluminum heads for 302.

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
What are the best aluminum heads and cam for a street/strip 302 ranger that wont cost an arm and a leg. And if i do get a set and use roller rockers would i have to change lifters and push rods?

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ford Racing aluminum GT-40 "X" cylinder heads M-6049-X306
Hydraulic roller camshaft M-6250-E303

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a set of the ARF 165's. They go for $1260 at Summit while the Ford heads go for $1060. You can get the AFR's in two different CC sizes to match your pistons and come in either the stud or pedistal mounted rockers. The AFR's show to get 90 hp over stock. I went with the Comp Cam XE-264HR-14 because of the LSA, using the Explorer computer. Lifters/pushrods, not sure what motor you have right now other than 302.
Dave of the Nord
http://www.airflowresearch.com/articles/ultimate/Group1/Part2/A-P1.htm

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I got a set of the ARF 165's. They go for $1260 at Summit while the Ford heads go for $1060. You can get the AFR's in two different CC sizes to match your pistons and come in either the stud or pedistal mounted rockers. The AFR's show to get 90 hp over stock. I went with the Comp Cam XE-264HR-14 because of the LSA, using the Explorer computer. Lifters/pushrods, not sure what motor you have right now other than 302.
Dave of the Nord

Listen to this man. He speaks the truth. AFR is the best aluminum head for a SBF.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
AFR heads can flow big numbers and make a lot of power. Trick Flow heads tend to create better velocity in the ports and have been shown to create a very wide torque curve while maintaining impressive peak numbers. Its best to match your camshaft profile to the heads. Some heads like the ones mentioned are well designed and can flow measurable amounts of air at a lower lift such as 0.0200" where as a cheaper head such as the patriot junk on ebay does not flow well until much later (particularly due to casting imperfections and valve shrouding in the chamber). You'll notice the most performance by going with a reputable shop that can build you custom camshaft profiles using YOUR specs. An off the shelf camshaft is designed for a variety of applications. It will make good power, but having the lobes profiled to enhance YOUR vehicle will make the difference. Vehicle weight, traction, transmission gear ratios, auto/manual trans, converter stall speed (auto trans), engine setup, and an honest goal of what you want are all factors a good custom cam shop will take into account. Also, I was able to get away with a solid roller camshaft for my small block with minimal maintenance. Gone are the days of solid flat tappet camshafts ticking and requiring adjustment every friday night. I checked mine every oil change and 2 or 3 rockers would be barely out of spec. I say this because hydraulic roller cams will not have the upper rpm power that a solid will make.

A heavy vehicle, tall gears, low stall converter, ect... will require a more broad powerband with a wide torque curve. Anything 351ci and under I would run either an AFR 165 head, Trick Flow 170cc twisted wedge, or Edelbrock RPM heads.

A vehicle that can get away with a sacrificing some low end and shifting the powerband upward might like AFR 185 heads, trick flows 190cc twisted wedge, or Canfield heads.

If you're building a big inch small block there are crazy amount of options but none are "budget" lol. I've had success with RHS pro action 215cc aluminum heads on a 4.125" bore 3.4" stroke small block. Racing Head Service also sells a 180cc version but be wary because the flow rates they post are based on a 4.125" bore not a 4.030" bore most common of the stock block based rebuilds. A BIG head designed for a 4.100" or 4.125" bore will see a lot of valve shrouding around the outside edge when placed over top a smaller 4.000"-4.030" bore therefor not seeing the same results.

My main point is to pick up a quality head that can perform as is and is cast with extra material for porting if plans get wilder in the future. The peak power of a motor is impressive only when the vehicle is at the exact rpm at which it makes the peak power. Investing in a custom ground cam and matching valve train will make for a stout motor that is MORE impressive up top yet seems to pull forever.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Canfields were my choice. $1100 shipped to my door after the Ebay auction ended. These are the equivalents of AFR 165's.. No pushrod changes needed with mine, but the geometry should be checked after the heads are bolted down to make sure what length pushrods are needed.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Dave of the Nord

I don't mean to try and highjack but wanted to know what you think of that cam. I am planning on using the same one in my 98 project.

waleeedijaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
rsghdgh
Make / Model
ghghdghgdhgh
Transmission
Automatic
Dave of the Nord

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As already mentioned, AFR's or Trickflows. I have ran nothing but the trick flows personally, but at the same time, my friends have from both and similar results. Look around on Craigslist, some excellent deals can be had! I got a set of trick flows for my supercharged and meth injected mustang I built for $600! Almost brand new. BUT you have to know what your looking for or that could have been $600 burnt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals