• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scored my first parts

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, searching through craigslist, scored my first on many parts that I'm after, a complete 97 expo with bad trans for $250!!! Picking it up Saturday. Pulling the harness and computer and engine, junking the rest, Its just a beater anyway.It's awd or at the least 4x4

If anyone knows, 1998 rangers were the first year for coil over front ends , correct? The 97 expo harnesses are the same for 98 if I read that correctly??

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
If it is AWD and the oil filter is on the front of the motor, you will not need a relocation kit for the oil filter. Also if it is AWD, you do not need the mustang motor mounts. You can use the Expo mounts and it will drop right into place.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Factory disk brake 31 spline 8.8 rear axle to be had on the back end of that thing too...

If you don't want it you probably won't have a hard time selling the axle.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info.. Appreciate it! Its AWD

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, nope, the '97 Expo/'98 Ranger harnesses are close, but a quick scan of the two seem to suggest a few differences.

A couple of the differences are inconsequential, Message Center, Auto Ride Ctrl (pins 27&28)

But, Pins 13 (VSS/PCM ground), 35&37 (A/C clutch relay control), Pin 4 (cruise ctrl) and 31 starter solenoid via NSS all need to be reviewed as does does pins 41 and 42.

VSS/PCM ground is an easy add, pin 4 and 31 may be non-issues, but the A/C controls are very very different between the two vehicles.

Lastly, I've seen incorrect/mismatched data on pins 41 and 42. As long as the wiring color codes are the same, they're a non-issue. If different, those will need to be ID'd and tracked down/corrected.

Lastly, you mention a coil spring Ranger and if so, you will need custom plates for the engine block to Ranger engine mounts brackets. Very possible to make your own out of flat steel (no easy cutting, drilling and slotting 5/16" steel, but possible).

If it's a torsion bar front suspension, then the Expo 5.0 mounting plates drop in.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, nope, the '97 Expo/'98 Ranger harnesses are close, but a quick scan of the two seem to suggest a few differences.

A couple of the differences are inconsequential, Message Center, Auto Ride Ctrl (pins 27&28)

But, Pins 13 (VSS/PCM ground), 35&37 (A/C clutch relay control), Pin 4 (cruise ctrl) and 31 starter solenoid via NSS all need to be reviewed as does does pins 41 and 42.

VSS/PCM ground is an easy add, pin 4 and 31 may be non-issues, but the A/C controls are very very different between the two vehicles.

Lastly, I've seen incorrect/mismatched data on pins 41 and 42. As long as the wiring color codes are the same, they're a non-issue. If different, those will need to be ID'd and tracked down/corrected.

Lastly, you mention a coil spring Ranger and if so, you will need custom plates for the engine block to Ranger engine mounts brackets. Very possible to make your own out of flat steel (no easy cutting, drilling and slotting 5/16" steel, but possible).

If it's a torsion bar front suspension, then the Expo 5.0 mounting plates drop in.
Well that's not what I wanted to hear. Not good. I'm glad I dound that out before I bought the 97 expo. THANKS!

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, the '96/97 Expo/Mounty's make just about the best doner.

No PATS, a usable speed signal and in your case, plug and play fuel supply system.

Buying a complete doner makes the most sense. Odds and ends like accelerator and cruise cables, a/c hoses, trans cooler lines, radiator and such along with the rear axle are all "good things" to have handy.

If you need to make the plates:

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
post pics!
I will as soon as I get it.. As of right now, I'm gathering parts and info on everything I need.. going to be a minute or two before anything starts coming together. Then it will be an EFI 331 5 speed on the bottle ranger!:icon_hornsup:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

No PATS, a usable speed signal and in your case, plug and play fuel supply system.

Buying a complete doner makes the most sense. Odds and ends like accelerator and cruise cables, a/c hoses, trans cooler lines, radiator and such along with the rear axle are all "good things" to have handy.

THANKS for those prints Win!! Appreciate it!
As far as the wiring, So the 96-97 expos would be my best shot as far as wiring on a 98+ ranger? Does it matter if the ranger is a 4 banger or 6 as fat as plugging up the expo harness? Sorry about the questions, I'm new to the Ranger swapping and I have a lot to learn.. BUT I will learn!

The reason I want to swap a 98+ ranger is because they have the coils up front instead of the beams. Just my personnel preference. IF the wiring isn't to hard.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None

THANKS for those prints Win!! Appreciate it!
As far as the wiring, So the 96-97 expos would be my best shot as far as wiring on a 98+ ranger? Does it matter if the ranger is a 4 banger or 6 as fat as plugging up the expo harness? Sorry about the questions, I'm new to the Ranger swapping and I have a lot to learn.. BUT I will learn!

The reason I want to swap a 98+ ranger is because they have the coils up front instead of the beams. Just my personnel preference. IF the wiring isn't to hard.
I just wanted to throw a little support Win's way, he was very helpful with sorting out some wiring issues on my truck as well as the ac. He knows how these things work and what pieces are interchangeable. I booked marked a lot of his post as I stumbled across the info and used a great deal of it along the way.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, the VERY easiest combination is a '98 Ranger/'98 Expo. But, that combination does come with a snag or two.

The '98 Expo got PATS -- Passive Anti Theft System. Uses a sensor ring around the ignition key barrel, a communications module behind the glove box and a data link to the PCM.

1st issue. Your '98 4 cyl did not have PATS so you'd have to add the Expo bits and wiring to get them to work, Or, get PATS tuned out of the PCM. Not a big deal if you also plan on a tune to remove the 4R70W auto trans in favor of a manual transmission.

2nd, can often lead to needing to swap the locks and steering column from the Expo into the Ranger, or a tow to your local, oh so friendly and co-operative Ford dealer to add new keys to the security system.

Now, just to add confusion to the mixture, the 1997 Expo 5.0 was a transition year. The early '97's used a copy of the '96 wiring/PCM, the later '97 is almost a copy of the '98 (but without PATS!).

Visual tell-tale is the EGR system. The early '97's have the EGR valve pulling exhaust gasses through the intake manifold, the later '97's have the EGR valve pulling the exhaust gasses through an external tube from the right exhaust manifold. So, if you're lucky, the '97 you've found might have the advantage of the later EGR system and be all but plug and play for both the fuel deliver system and the 42 pin engine/body harness connector.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I don't even have a ranger yet. I will buy the truck once I figure out what truck I should get, 4 cyl. or 6. However, It defiantly will be a 5 speed reg cab 2wd truck.

I can have the PATS turned off or tuned out if need be, no biggie to me. One I get the truck together, it will need dyno tuned anyway.

I guess what I need to ask you Win is this, if you don't mind,since you're the expert. Should I just find a wrecked 98 expo/neer, would be easiest for the 98 or up ranger I will be swapping the v8 5 speed into as far as wiring? The actuall motor/trans swap is nothing to me, it's the wiring that I don't know anything about yet.

Taking notes here...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals