• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 towing question

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
A load-equalizing hitch (single-bar type) pretty much makes the BII's short wheelbase a non-issue (I also have an anti-sway bar (friction type), just for good measure).

I tow this thing from time to time up to Oregon and back to So Cal (about 3500lbs). Wind gusts from passing semis don't bother it (or my BII) at all.

Do you have brakes on your trailer?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, it didn't come with brakes on it.
It stops without squirreliness or anything like that, though the recent explosion of dumbs#!t cellphone texters that couldn't give two s#its about your presence and purposely cut into the space you maintain as a "safe zone" and then slamming on their brakes certainly has had me thinking of putting them on it. :annoyed:

I've found this happens less if I'm within some proximity of big rigs on the road, so often times I'll just tail behind a rig a slight distance if they're doing at least 60 or so.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
No, it didn't come with brakes on it.
It stops without squirreliness or anything like that, though the recent explosion of dumbs#!t cellphone texters that couldn't give two s#its about your presence and purposely cut into the space you maintain as a "safe zone" and then slamming on their brakes certainly has had me thinking of putting them on it. :annoyed:

I've found this happens less if I'm within some proximity of big rigs on the road, so often times I'll just tail behind a rig a slight distance if they're doing at least 60 or so.
Maybe its the load equalizing hitch that makes it tow so well...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm almost positive it is.

Just towing it out of my driveway (fairly steep/long) I can tell it wants to push the BII around... But once I flip the lever to tension the spring bar, all that seems to go away (I can't just leave the bar tensioned due to the steep approach where the driveway meets the street).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I think all trailers should have some sort of brakes on them regardless of how much the trailer itself weighs. Once you load the trailer down, you have all the weight of the trailer and whatever is on or in the trailer pushing you around. You'll save the brakes on your tow vehicle by having trailer brakes to help slow you down as well. I know most places if the trailer is 2k or more brakes are required. The lighter weight trailers probably need a way to either not hook them up or turn them off or something when the trailer isn't loaded or most likely you'll end up dragging the trailer every time you stop due to its light weight.

I wouldn't have tried towing anything with my B2, but that was just due to the horrible rear suspension....or lack of I think as bad as it was sagging without any load on it. However, one that is in good shape, I don't see why a person couldn't tow 3k with it using a equilizer/stabilizer hitch setup. Its the stopping problems that will kill you and get you into serious trouble. It doesn't matter if so and so cut you off...its your fault you ran into them because your vehicle was overloaded....hence the reason to have brakes on the trailer, it makes a huge difference sometimes.

I was coming home from Arizona several years ago on the freeway about 30 miles from home, had someone cut over in front of me from 3 lanes over to get to the exit lane, if it wasn't for the brakes on the travel trailer I would have used their POS car as a speed bump. You just never know when some idiot is going to pull out in front of you, or otherwise cut you off. They don't give a sh** they just have the mentality that they are invincible and they don't want to take 2 extra seconds because they don't want to get stuck behind someone pulling a trailer.

Trailer brakes and a good trailer hitch are going to be your best friend especially in such a small vehicle. A small fully loaded trailer can and will push the little bronco 2's around quite a bit, having a good trailer hitch with load leveling and stabilizer setup will help a lot. Adding trailer brakes to your trailer, or buying a trailer with them already is a wise choice with such a small tow vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals