• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RockRangerII refresh

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to be going through my 93 ranger and giving it a refresh. I bought the truck in late 2004. Other then a rancho lift kt it was an all stock stripped truck with a 4.0 manual trans and tcase. No AC cruise or power windows. The perfect basic wheeling rig.

Here are the specs of how the truck currently sat before this refresh.

4.0V6 all stock
Stock 5 speed
d.d. machine duel case setup with manual 1350 front and 1354 rear.
Front axle is a 1984 Jeep wagonner dana 44 converted to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern 4.88 gears and an Aussie locker
Three link front suspension using 8" skyjacker TJ springs.
Rear axle is a 1992 explorer 8.8 4.88 gears and welded spider gears.
63" Chevy springs with a bellteck shackle.
BroncoII tank behind the rear axle
Warn 9.5 XP winch behind the front grill.
Interior roll cage
37" MTR on 17" steel rims

Untitled by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

I took the truck down to King of The Hammers and few years ago and did some wheeling and managed to crush the bed good. Broke both front hubs and all 4 front axles, bent the rear driveshaft and ripped a shock mount off. Due to life getting in the way it sat on the trailer for 18 months before I even touched it again. Now I plan to give the truck some love and get it back on the trials again.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Next I decided to trim the rockers and remount my sliders higher up. I marked a line about 1/2" down from the door jamb. and cut everything below off with a cutoff wheel. I used a 2lb sledge and rolled the bottom cut off section back under the cab so there would be no sharp edges at the door entrance.

Before

After

Then I made some new mounts and remounted my old sliders.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine gave me some 6" skyjacker ranger rear springs so I tossed them on as by Chevy springs were toast. The truck sits a bit tail high right now. I will make adjustments once the bed is built and see what needs to be changed. I would like to lower the truck about 2" but I will mess with that once I finish building everything else.

I also built some quick release mudflap mounts. They are made out of 1/8" plate cut on my cnc plasma table. Welded together and then a piece of 1" square tubs slides in and held with a pin. Hopefully it will keep the law happy.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I was swapping the rear springs I was needing a longer rear brake line. After a trip to Napa I found one that would work. I posted the information on it here. http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147524

I also hate the lip on the bottom of the 8.8. It seams like I would get caught on it all the time. I really wanted to shave the bottom of the housing like people do with 14bolts. My skills and tools aren't there yet so I decided to try something different.

Here is the lip I am referring to.

Did some cardboard cad

Drew them on the computer and then cut them out.

Glued them to the axle. I just mig welded them on. So we will see how it does.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While dong this work I made a few things in the garage I have found handy. With no bed and alot of fender clearance on the front tires I always am setting things on the top of the tires. Items are always falling off when you grab something so I made a tray to st on the tires. Two brackets I cut and a $4 lasagna tray from walmart and tools no longer fall off. A cookie tray would work but so far I like the added depth.

I also got sick of digging through all my spray pant cans and never being able to find the color I was looking for. Or knocking other cans off the shelf as I am digging. So I made these brackets that combined with 1/2" emt conduit hold my cans and make it easy to see what I have.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Nice to see you on here RockRanger. Yours is one of the trucks I always looked for on the Explorer forum. I always thought you had a more 'exotic' (read: expensive) suspension and stuff. Now I see you have a lot of the same stuff everybody uses here, save maybe the doubler. Now I'm truly impressed.

Some great ideas for the garage too. Looking forward to seeing more of the refresh.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I like what you're doing! What you gonna do for a bed?

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice to see you on here RockRanger. Yours is one of the trucks I always looked for on the Explorer forum. I always thought you had a more 'exotic' (read: expensive) suspension and stuff. Now I see you have a lot of the same stuff everybody uses here, save maybe the doubler. Now I'm truly impressed.

Some great ideas for the garage too. Looking forward to seeing more of the refresh.
Everything is pretty basic. 2" square tube for the links, f250 shock mounts, modified stock col buckets and lots of garage time. It the last 10 years I have well under $10k counting purchasing the truck in it. Now start adding tools into it and that is a whole different ball game. Luckily I have a very understanding wife and other then my plasma table and air compressor most of them were purchased before we were married.

I like what you're doing! What you gonna do for a bed?
Tube and sheet metal. I am still thinking about the design. Think I am going to do an exo cage and tie it in with the bed. The cab is just to small for an interior cage without removing all the interior.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Started on a new rear bumper that will also tie into the tube bed. A few minutes with a tape measure at the truck and this a bit of computer time I made this.

bumper drawing by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

Then started assembling.

Then painted.

If I did it over again I would skip the receiver tube. With the BII tank there inst enough room to properly gusset it and make it strong enough to be worth anything.

I could use some help getting my tail lights working.
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149091

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Sweet work! I wish I had CNC stuff at my disposal!

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
CNC makes it nice. My use of cut off wheels has plummeted. Use the grinders to knock some slag off and prep for welding. It is taking me time to get it figured out. I only use it for hobby stuff right now.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
is it a torch mate?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals