• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering My Ranger

AyAnthony702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
I currently have my 2010 standard cab 2.3L lifted on 31" but considered lowering it. I don't know much about the whole lowering game so please explain, sorry haha. But I wanna lower my truck like that all black plasti dipped ranger. I also saw a ranger lowered like 7/8. I know about the DJM kit and buying belltech lowering springs and cut a coil out but i don't know what else. Please let me know. I wanna go pretty low that I can do.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
But I wanna lower my truck like that all black plasti dipped ranger.
If you point us to this truck it might help people figure out what you are going for, and allow them to give you better suggestions on how to get there.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the SLA (98+) suspensions to help you with this.

AyAnthony702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
If you point us to this truck it might help people figure out what you are going for, and allow them to give you better suggestions on how to get there.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the SLA (98+) suspensions to help you with this.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/a4yteveh.jpg
I believe it's 7/9. All I need to know is how to get my rear to 9". Blocks, c notch, flip hangers, flip kit, lowering shackle. Would all that work?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
HAHA RonD, real help you are. :thefinger:

Couldn't tell you if it is a 7/9 based on the picture. Was hoping for a little more info, but if that's what you have...

9" drop in the rear... Obviously, as Ron pointed out, you'll have to start with shorter tires. An axle flip will get you about 4.5" on a stock Ranger axle. A shackle/hangar flip will get you about another 1.5-2" drop. After the hangar flip you can install Chevy lowering shackles for another 1.5-2" depending on the mount hole used, and their may be longer lowering shackles available. :dunno:

4.5 + 2 + 2 = ~7.5"-8.5" drop
(axle flip) + (hangar flip) + (lowering shackle) = (pretty close)

By the time you get that low you will be wanting to have a notch installed, because the axle will be pretty close to the frame. You could use a block to get the rest of the drop you seek, but I don't like them and never recommend them.

There are (or at least there used to be) lowering leafs out there, never used them or looked into them so I don't know how much they drop. If I had to guess, I'd say 2"-3". I've also heard herd that the front hangar can be flipped as well for a little more low. :dunno:

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I covered most of this in my PM, I'm just posting it here for any other readers.

The lowering hardware is pretty straightforward. You'll need the DJM 4/5 kit and appropriate shocks to start. From there you'll want
Front:
Cut springs to taste. Cut a little at a time until you're happy with how it sits. You'll have issues with negative camber with anything more than a 2 inch drop spring, so be ready to go through tires faster than normal, or modify the upper control arms to correct the camber/balljoint angle. You may also have to remove the inner fenders to avoid tire rubbing depending on wheel/tire combo.
Rear:
Flip kit= 5 inch drop
shackle flip (stock shackle)= 2 inches
shackle flip (lift shackle)= whatever size lift the shackle is designed for. Requires cutting the bed floor.
Lift block= depends on the block (only works when you have a flip kit installed)
Belltech Drop leafs= 3 inches

The hangup is all of the other stuff that you run into to actually drive that low. When you drop more than 4/5, you'll need a frame notch and low profile transmission crossmember minimum. From there, depending on how low you want to go, you'll need to start cutting. Things like tie-rod notches, cutting the bed floor, modifying or replacing the inner fenders, getting a fuel cell, custom upper control arms to correct camber, etc are all going to come into play the lower you get. They increase the amount of work, as well as the cost.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals