• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Budget Wheeler Bronco II

OregonBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I haven't been posting on a forum in months, but posting updates and getting feedback on my projects usually spurs me on to do more.
Traded a 1955 Ferguson tractor that I got for free to a friend who had this Bronco II, score right?:D
It was a roll over, so a new half roof was welded on, and was "transformed" to compete in our Tuff Truck competition that happens every year during the county fair (essentially just a track of jumps). Interior was gutted, they welded together a pretty stout cage in the back, removed the front bumper and fenders, chopped doors and windshield removed, better suited seats for this "race truck" lol, 5 point harness, and chopping the exhaust off.
It only raced once, but enough to bend the drivers side frame rail up a couple inches. Computer fried at some point and it sat until I got it. Had a couple owners in between.

Spent $50 for a used computer and had to ground the fuel pump jumper in the EEC plug for it to fire up. The little 2.9l still runs strong, think I need to lengthen the exhaust out towards the rear wheels for it to run better though. Besides the bent frame, it's not all that bad. All the essentials worked, 4wd, wipers, headlights, heater, stops and moves great, new clutch slave cylinder and master, new radiator, decent tires, cage was built well, and it's still fairly straight. I did replace the headlight switch and cleaned the instrument cluster, but the dash lights stayed on all the time so put those to a toggle switch.
Trailered it out to the mountains to go wheelin with a friend and his tuff truck ranger(same guy I got the bronco from). Little bronco did great, went up everything I tried and survived the small jumping attempts with only losing battery connection. I had forgotten to tighten the loose front Ujoint straps before I left, one of the caps fell off going down the mountain at the end of the day. Parked it at home and tried to get it out of it's spot using 4wd the other day and snapped one of the bolts. Got a new ujoint in the shaft today and new bolts, but can't get the bronco out to drill out the bolt:bawling:

Anyways, my plans with it are pretty simple, and gonna try to keep it as cheap as possible lol
It's gonna be improved but not "restored". In the process of getting the title transferred and then get plates so i can drive it since it drove pretty well.

Oh and there should be no shortage of pictures lol

Driveway wheelin got old really fast, and my friend wanted to test his truck out too lol

Flexes decent

Those tires used to be on the bronco lol

Since the water in the ranger was mud brown when it overheated, we decided to stop at a small creek and flush out the radiator, it liked creek water lol

Did about 40 miles total

My friends didn't think I would be able to rail on anything since everything else is babied, proved them wrong haha

The ranger doesn't have functioning 4wd so he had to hit everything alot harder than the bronco did

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice pics. Looks like a great place to wheel in.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Where ya wheelin? I've done some in both the Cascades and the Rockies. God I love wheelin' in the mountains.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Good ole Onion Mountain and Mill Pond :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals