• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible potiential for 302 block?

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
How much can a 302 block be bored over and still be strong? And what is the possible cubic inches that a 302 block can put out?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Depends on the block. The Mex and D8VE blocks have thicker cylinder walls than other castings. All others will go to 30 or 40 over without issues.

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The only way to know how far a block can be overbored is to have it sonic tested so you know how thick the cylinder walls are. My machine shop want go any thinner than .150 on the thrust side of the cylinder wall.

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
i have an extra block laying around but it has been dropped on the ground, will that hurt it. And how do you tell what block you have?

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How far did it fall?
ID mark are on the side of the block around were the starter would be.

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
it didnt fall far less than 3 feet and it didnt fall on a shop floor just the ground outside

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
As long as it didn't land on concrete or rock, it'll be fine. One thing to watch though especially on roller blocks is how you move them around, the thin casting surrounding the rear seal on the main cap of the roller blocks (and the flat tappet 1 pc seal blocks)is easily broken. Not that it's a big deal as the oil pan will hold it in place. But not so for the 2 pc seal block caps. Break it and you're screwed.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have an extra block laying around but it has been dropped on the ground, will that hurt it. And how do you tell what block you have?
The casting numbers are above the starter for most, but some of the roller blocks have this cast on the bottom rear edges ahead of the bellhousing. The casting numbers contain "6015" in the middle, this is Ford's part number for an engine block. The Prefix and suffix is what differentiates one from another. The first two characters indicate the (model)year and decade when the part was originally started into production.

92ranger18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 302
Transmission
Automatic
ok wat would my block bored .30 over with a 3.4 in crank, 5.4 in conn. Rods flat top pistons, AFR heads with 205cc intake runners 58cc combustion chambers 2.08/1.60 int/exh. Z303 cam with 1.7 roller rockers and a tunnel ram intake make? Would this be a good combination of part for a possible nitrous or blown motor

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok wat would my block bored .30 over with a 3.4 in crank, 5.4 in conn. Rods flat top pistons, AFR heads with 205cc intake runners 58cc combustion chambers 2.08/1.60 int/exh. Z303 cam with 1.7 roller rockers and a tunnel ram intake make? Would this be a good combination of part for a possible nitrous or blown motor
The frpp alphabet cam(z303) are junk. They are a 30+ year old design. Cams have come a long way since they were designed. There are a lot better cams out there for the money. I would go with a custom cam with that parts list it would be cheaper in the long run. Ask me how I know.

The compression would be to high on a 347 with flattop pistons and a 58cc combustion chamber to run boost on pump gas.

With those parts and a custom cam I would guess around 425 to the ground.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Nitro on all but his feelings on the Z303. Junk ? Not hardly. I'm running one in my 331. Great cam. Power comes in at 1500 and pulls like a freight train to 6500.
The lopey idle will fool you, it sounds great, but it's tame enough for a daily driver. To run boost or NOS, you'd need to lower the comp ratio in a 347 by going to a dished piston.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals