• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 drivetrain question

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So ive been putting together parts for my v8 swap into my 98 extended cab 2wd auto ranger and ended up with a 2001 mountaineer that will be giving up its engine and rear and got a 4r70w trans from a 2003 2wd f150 with a 4.2. My question is in the drive shaft department. I know ill have to have the shaft lengthened or shortened but what should i do about slip yokes and universals? What drive shaft (f150 ranger explorer) or combination should i use? Basically what is the best way to get power from the trans to the rear?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In my case, I took the original Explorer drive shaft to a shop and had them build be a new shaft to fit.

Front slip, u-joint flanges and rear flange were all from the Expo.

Because of the extended cab wheelbase and overall length of the shaft, the shop would only build a 2 piece shaft with all new center bearing and u-joint flanges.

Best I can tell, the std wheelbase Ranger and the Explorer's wheel base are so close, the Expo piece may well simply bolt in.

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I cross referenced the part numbers for the front slip for the explorer and f150 are the same so thanks. Im guessing if the shaft almost fits a reg cab then ill have to have it lengthened for my extended cab?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
measure off the 2wd mounty or explorer....i had that at one point.

they should both be 28 spline slips, and likely you can reuse the shaft on a 2wd application with some adjustments. but its been done as a bolt in.

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I looked up that the ranger has a 28 spline slip while the explorer and f150 have a 31 spline slip yoke. The ranger does however have the same 1 1/16" OD universal joint bearing that the explorer and f150 have. Im wondering now if i can use the explorer slip yoke and rear flange with the ranger aluminum shaft. Id rather use the aluminum shaft instead of the 2 piece explorer shaft. If i could do that then i wouldnt have to deal with the carrier bearing nonsense and maybe end up with a lighter/ faster drivetrain.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
an e4od will have a 31 spline...2wd or 4x4.

the 4r70 will be 31 spline 4x4 or 28 spline 2wd.

the fullsize 4x4 with the slip in the t case are 31 spline, so that may be the cause of confusion.

getting a 2wd slip yoke should be cake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals