• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I'm new here and building a v8 ranger

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Been reading and poking around for the last couple months, getting ready for my 1987 V8 build... and here it is!

Truck is a 1987 XLT with the FI 2.3L 4 cyl, 4 speed AOD.
Spent the last year sitting in a field in Shawville, QC. Towed it out with a subaru, and now its back in Ottawa, ON ready for the swap. I'm in Canada.

I picked up a motor and parts last night. Ford 302, supposedly a '74 (smog :()

Pictures will follow.

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Pictures

Got two rads, two starters, coil, extra wires, air cleaner, some exhaust (maybe off a Torino). Got a pretty good deal on all of it, so I'm happy.

Attachments

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh forgot about the tranny- I got a tranny with the engine- What should I do about the driveshaft?

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Really the driveshaft most likely is going to be the last thing to worry about right now .get the motor and trans in first . I just finish my 94 ranger . I went to the junkyard and pulled the longest one piece aluminum ford shaft I could find with matching yoke and rear diff flange . Sent it to the driveshaft shop in town and had it shortened . Cheaper to shortern then extend for sure . Most newer fords are going to have the right yoke depending on years (some short ,some long nosed ) . Atleast anything with a 4r70w . What rear end is in yours actually ? if its 7.5 think about goi g to a expo 8.8 with drums or disk if you can . Get posi out of it and a better gear setup (my came with 3.73 ) . Hope I helped a lil brotha

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll second moving to an 8.8 with limited slip and disk brakes. Nearly all the 2nd gen Explorers have the 8.8 trac-loc with disks and it's a very worthwhile addition.

The Expo rear axle is not a "drop in" swap, needing new spring perches and shock mounts but nothing just a bit of cutting, grinding and welding won't accomplish.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll second moving to an 8.8 with limited slip and disk brakes. Nearly all the 2nd gen Explorers have the 8.8 trac-loc with disks and it's a very worthwhile addition.

The Expo rear axle is not a "drop in" swap, needing new spring perches and shock mounts but nothing just a bit of cutting, grinding and welding won't accomplish.
This is good advice, but it's important to remember that the Expo rear axle is about 3 inches wider than the stock rear axle in a squarebody, so it can cause issues with wheel/tire fitment.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
was all of that free?

i have a hard time understanding using a windsor first with all things considered. i love windsors but when doing a total powertrain overhaul it just dont make sense to me to use such a nutless archaic limited platform.

today....my first choice to v8 a ranger just for the noise and power factor would be an ls powertrain. it is easy power and economy....

from there....in a 2wd reg cab it would be an ecoboost 4 cyl variant

pretty sure a ls for any sort of 4x4...but a boost in a small 4x4 would be great.

this may be because i am getting really lazy and old and just want a drop in solution instead of wasting shit tons of time and money rebuilding stuff...the idea of doing a v8 swap with less then 330-350 hp seems patently ridiculous to me these days. well considering what is available.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought

You are right .its not a straight bolt in deal and wheel tire combo will change possibly . I was able to install my 96 expo rear with no welding involved on my 94 extended cab . I used a 2 driver side leaf spring /shock mounts from the same year expo ( can use 2 passenger if needed, just have to have 2 of the same sides and rotate 180 ) . I had to make the ebrake cable work with a couple cable clamps but know there's a oem Solution out there . The reason I went this route is I wanted to lower my ranger using the expo diff and leaf packs (ranger has 3 ,expo 4 . If you are trying to retain stock height or 4x4 then I can see having to weld new Perches .

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
You are right .its not a straight bolt in deal and wheel tire combo will change possibly . I was able to install my 96 expo rear with no welding involved on my 94 extended cab . I used a 2 driver side leaf spring /shock mounts from the same year expo ( can use 2 passenger if needed, just have to have 2 of the same sides and rotate 180 ) . I had to make the ebrake cable work with a couple cable clamps but know there's a oem Solution out there . The reason I went this route is I wanted to lower my ranger using the expo diff and leaf packs (ranger has 3 ,expo 4 . If you are trying to retain stock height or 4x4 then I can see having to weld new Perches .

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

an additional mod for go fast and handling would be to mount the shocks identically instead of the factory crap compromise for fuel tank and spare tire fitment. but i do the same setup you describe when i have to. you can actually fit the axle with no welding if necessary when using two drivers side plates spring over.

and pulling the bed sides to fit the explorer axle and huge sticky tires looks great to me as well. and its free.

no reason to not use the wider axle.

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of good info so far.

bobby- Not free. Truck was about 300$ (me giving my buddy "scrap" value).
All the parts including motor were another $300.

My thoughts went first to a 2.3t build... however the sticker shock on a set of pistons scared me straight out of that. Tried all the local junk yards for 2.3t mustnags/ t-birds. Seems all the talk of "widely available" is from threads dating back 10 years.

Then I started shopping around... I would have been interested in a modular swap, but that seems a little too much work/ not enough instant gratification for my liking.

And then I found this cheapo 302 that was *apparently* running when pulled from a mustang. Guy was into showing the car, and motor had been in his garage for 8 years before I came along.

I would agree that swapping a V8 that will only give up 140hp/200ft# is a little daft... but the potential is there. My end goal is 200/275. Not looking to wreck a frame, just make some smoke and noise. Not interested in fast either, so shorter final drive would suit me nicely. Trying to iron out what I need before junkyards go 10 feet under snow.

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Parts list

Oh- and heres the parts list from rock auto so far.

Whatdya think?

Dual sump pan, remote oil filter, mustang conv mounts

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
at 1000 bux or so total outlay truck and powertrain for a good runner i cant blame ya. this qualifies as free in my eyes:icon_thumby:

if that pan is from a mustang 2 and in good shape you may be able to trade or sell it off for a fox pan and still make money on it...the drivers manifold looks like that style....maverick/stang

i know of a guy that just paid 300 plus for a nos pan for a cobra 2. i was looking at one of his pintos, he sells like he buys.

prymetime1

Reaction score
ListLooks good mang.

What are u doing for headers? Maybe I missed it?

Moose_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ListLooks good mang.

What are u doing for headers? Maybe I missed it?
Got the 70's manifolds that came on the motor- from a mustang.

Have the "downpipes" (?) from the torino, with a hideous looking y-pipe. Was gonna make an exhaust up with some cheap flowmasters or similar. I want something unsuspecting, and not deafening, but loud.

Good idea on the oil pan. I was warned that it was leaking, but didnt think too much about it. Hope its still intact and can be resold.

I got a steering wheel (off the mustang) thrown in the deal... Think I can adapt it to work? It has a spline on it- dont know more than that.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Sorry mang, I did miss that. Going to reread. Lol. Not sure on the steering wheel aspect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals