• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upper Control Arm LH vs. RH Differences

mattster03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004 FX4 Level II that I was working on changing out the upper and lower ball joints this weekend and I ran into an issue. My new LH (driver's side) upper control arm was a different shape that the one I pulled out... the different shape seemed to locate the upper ball joint in a noticeably different location than the one I pulled out. What made things even more strange was that the LH upper control arm that I pulled seemed to match the new RH control arm that I purchased.

Can anyone confirm that the LH control arm on this generation of ranger is in fact a different shape than the RH? I do believe that my truck had a front left fender bender in the past and I am wondering if maybe someone who didn't know what they were doing put a RH upper control arm on the LH side when replacing it. Any help would be great!

The part numbers I have are:

LH: MK8708T
RH: MK80068

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just replaced the upper control arms and ball joints on my 02 FX4 a couple months ago. I can tell you for sure, the L and R are different. My original right control arm was the two piece style. The new one was a one piece style but still different than the left side.

mattster03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the responses! It seems very strange that my LH looks exactly like the replacement for the RH side. I will take some pictures tonight to be sure.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They are a different shape. They do look very similar, but they are not the same. If you turn them around and use them on the wrong side you can't ever get the caster correct because the location of the ball joint relative to the ends of the arms is not the same.

The reason is that you don't actually want caster to be equal side to side. You want it to be a little higher on the left so the vehicle doesn't just run off to the right with the crown of the road.

mattster03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I went to the shop and took a few pictures. As you can see, the overall "look" of the LH control arm just seems different to me. Different sized ball joint, some extra bends "up" and a noticeably different location for the centerline of the ball joint. Also, the outside to outside dimension is different:

LH: 15-1/4"
RH: 15-1/16"

Is this normal? Just doesn't seem "correct"

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's correct, it's normal, it's design intent. I already explained how the desired alignment geometry means different shapes, and ball joint center lines, between the two sides.

mattster03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's correct, it's normal, it's design intent. I already explained how the desired alignment geometry means different shapes, and ball joint center lines, between the two sides.
Thanks... that's really helpful. The problem is that the LH upper control arm that is on my truck (check and it is in fact stamped "LH" on the bottom) which I pulled does not match the new LH upper control arm that I received. I understand now that the LH and RH are different, but why is the one on my truck different than the new one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals