• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting issue 83

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
copy that. thanks for the info just ordered the pump. would that be common issue if it sat for a while then tryin to start it with bad fuel? just wondering cause it did sit a while and i wasnt the first to come look at it and try to start it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It is common for a 40 year old pump if still stock. Sitting with ethanol is more than likely the issue. Check/change the oil if it smells like fuel it is possible the diaphram ruptured and pumped some fuel into the oil pan?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
There are a number of reasons for a fuel pump to fail after sitting, especially if it is a pump that was not made to use the fuel we now have. Stuck check valves or split diaphragm are most common. A mechanical fuel pump is really a vacuum pump for liquid, so if there are any leaks between the tank and the pump, it won't pull fuel up and out of the tank (the reason I suggested the vacuum test).

And, yes the Hayes manual should have the procedure. The reason I suggested a manual is because there is a push rod between the pump and the eccentric inside the engine and you need to get that right (I have heard they tend to fall out when your are not looking, LOL, so make sure it is there). A little PB blaster or the like on the fuel line fittings before you start would't hurt. Like kimcrwbr1 said, get yourself a tubing wrench to take the fittings off the pump. You sure as hell don't want to screw up the fuel lines, that would be a real rodeo to fix.

Last edited:

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i done replaced that fuel pump had no real issues other than the bottom bolt being a pain to get too. still wont start i checked the voltage when i turn the key, i drops 8-10 volts but nothing happens, i suspect a bad ground or something of the sort? i plan on going over all the wiring to see if i can locate a faulty ground and or anything that is out of place. any suggestions would be awesome, Thanks for you help thus far. i really appreciate it!!

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
okay so when pulling the throttle, im not seeing any gas coming out of the fuel line i have running to a glass. could that be a bad fuel line or pump?
I think there's some confusion here...when you pull on the throttle, gas should spray into the carb from the bowl. You won't see gas coming from the fuel line when you pull on the throttle.

So, disconnect the steel fuel line from the filter at carb and put that end in a jar to collect gas, then crank ignition a few times (maybe get someone to do that while you're under the hood). You should see gas pumping into the jar.

If you have no gas going into jar then your problem is from tank to carb. Could be clogged fuel line, cracked fuel line, bad pump, or a clogged fuel sender (which is in tank).

If you have no fuel spray when you pull on throttle (first make sure there's fuel in the bowl), then there's a problem with the carb and I suggest rebuilding it.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
well i done replaced that fuel pump had no real issues other than the bottom bolt being a pain to get too. still wont start i checked the voltage when i turn the key, i drops 8-10 volts but nothing happens, i suspect a bad ground or something of the sort? i plan on going over all the wiring to see if i can locate a faulty ground and or anything that is out of place. any suggestions would be awesome, Thanks for you help thus far. i really appreciate it!!
What is the voltage with the key off? Should be above 12 volts. If you have not charged be battery while doing all this work it is probably discharged.

With the headlights on, turn the key to start. If headlights go very dim or off, low battery and it needs to be charged.

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry its bin a while since i posted. i did test the battery turns out it had 1 or so bad cells. got that swapped out. and vice rebuilding the carb i just opted to order a remanned. once the carb arrived threw it in there and she fired right up. one happy camper now just to fine tune everything and get her purring like a kitten. already got my rear shackles install as well and 15x10 wrapped in 295/50 Mastercraft avenger G/Ts on the rear, and 15x8 wrapped in 235/60's on the front. looking really good

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals