• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing rear wheel bearings in 1991 Ranger (2 wheel drive)

SacSurge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Truck is making a dry metal on metal sound. Not much of a mechanic but have a friend who came and did the front wheel bearings for me real quick and the sound is definately coming from the rear. We replaced the rear end fluid and still the horrible sound. He said the rear wheel bearings were not so easy so I'm here hoping to learn how to DIY the job. Can anyone help or point me to a good video showing the replacement of the rear wheel bearings or hubs whichever needs to be done.

Thanks,
Larry

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pretty easy to do but you will need 2 special tools. (1) Bearing puller - toggle device that slides inside the bearing race and toggles to capture the backside of the bearing. (2) 5lb slide hammer - used to draw the bearing out. Both available at Harbor Freight.

All open rear-ends are pretty much the same - I'm sure there's a YouTube video of how to do it.

Use Timken or equiv bearings and seals - don't use CCC*. Since the bearing rides on the surface of the axle, you may need an axle-saver style bearing which basically moves the contact area out a little. Use new gear oil. Use diff cover RTV for gasket.

*Cheap China Crap

SacSurge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!

Excellent! I will try and find a video tonight. I appreciate the tips..

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Look at this page:
http://therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2011/rear_axleshaft_seal.htm
That shows you how to replace the axle seals, which is the exact same procedure for replacing the bearings, except it doesn't show how to use the slide hammer and puller to remove the bearing. You can skip using the seal puller to get the seal out though. You can use the bearing remover to remove the bearing and the seal at the same time.

Here's a video on how to use the bearing remover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIG9Sc4dhYI

In case the atricle wasn't clear enough on how to remove the axle shafts, check out this video. It's not the same axle as yours, but the procedure for getting the shafts out is exactly the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zwYojw6cuU
I do not recommend unbolting the carrier bearing cap like he did though. Use an 8mm box end wrench to remove the retaining bolt and you won't have to remove the bearing cap.

Last edited:

SacSurge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thank You very Much!!

Larry

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals