• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need new shocks with 2 inch coil drop?

gabe713

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 93 Ranger 4 cyl and I'm going to buy some 2 inch lower coil springs for the front end.

My question is, do I need to but the lowering kit with the new shocks or if I just get the springs is that going to affect the suspension so that it's noticeably worse?

I still want a smooth ride after lowering but i'd also like to save some money and don't really want new shocks if the old ones will still work fine.

Thanks guys.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For a 2 inch drop new shocks are recommended but not required. The drop will be tougher on the stock length shocks, and may shorten their life, but they should still work for awhile.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Shocks dampen spring compression and bounce(rebound).

Shocks have a maximum extension length and compression length, travel.

If you shorten the suspension travel then you could bend a shock that is too long if it bottoms out, shocks are not made to support weight, just dampen motion.
If you lengthen the suspension travel then you could break the shock by pulling it passed its maximum extension.

Can you use stock shocks after lowering, yes, but avoid bottoming out the suspension on bumps, and you may notice it is a "stiffer" ride, since shock are more compressed.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't see how shocks would be stiffer? Is the fluid somehow going thru progressively smaller orifices? I could see that happening bit is it?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't see how shocks would be stiffer? Is the fluid somehow going thru progressively smaller orifices? I could see that happening bit is it?
The shocks don't really get stiffer, but the ride can feel stiffer or more harsh due to the reduced travel. They end up bottoming out sooner and more often since their travel is reduced by the amount of drop.

gabe713

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I kinda figured if I lower the front it'll have a stiffer ride. I guess there's always a give and take with everything. Do you think it will really bottom out with it being 2 inches lower?

Last edited:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
2" coils and stock length shocks will be fine. Anything over a 2" change in suspension travel is when you'll need to change shock length. I've had shocks designed for lowered vehicles and never really liked them. They always seemed sloppy to me and never seemed to last. I preferred a performance oriented shock and stock length has work flawlessly for me for years.

James

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals