• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 2.3l random stalling several dtc's

Darren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So for a few weeks now my truck has started stalling. Randomly, usually as stop lights as soon as I try to accelerate. Twice I've lost power cruising at 50mph. The truck runs great, then all of a sudden zero power, then it dies, then 10 seconds later it will start and run just fine. It's getting progressively worse, and today the CEL came on a few times for a few seconds. I ran the test and came up with these codes in this order 3 times in a row.

Am I reading those correctly? Where do I proceed from here. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No they don't make sense as is.
I am assuming an extra 1 so I get:
111 is an OK code
181 Fuel system was lean at part throttle Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control
452 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) problem

452 shouldn't be an issue to cause stalling or loss of power, do you have a manual or automatic?
On the transmission there is a speedometer cable, with this cable is the VSS, it has an electrical connector, check the connector, make sure it is clean and dry inside.
VSS is for computer and cruise control, also ABS if so equipped

181 says Lean condition seen by O2 sensor, if possible check fuel pressure at the rail.
Although misfires cause Lean exhaust as far as O2 sensor is concerned, so that could just come from the stalling and loss of power you describe.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter, if you can't say then change it, $10, and should be done as general maintenance.
Also run a can of Seafoam or similar injector cleaner in the fuel tank, you should do this once a year, it does help for smother idle and better MPG.

Is the weather warm or warmer than usual?

There are no direct sensor codes so sensors should be fine.

Common issues are dirty MAF sensor, which can cause bucking and stalling, they should be cleaned every few years.

The ICM(ignition control module) located on the front of the intake manifold was also a common ailment for the 2.3l, they are not inexpensive and can be tested.
These are more like to show faults when warmer than usual, just like coils

What is the idle when engine is cold?
Should be about 1,200rpm

And idle when warmed up?
should be 700manual, 800 automatic
If higher than this warm then you could have a vacuum leak which could cause stalling but not on the highway

Last edited:

Darren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel filter is new, as as plugs, wires, waterpump, clutch, and slave cylinder. I haven't checked fuel pressure. How do I test the ICM?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: test 1993 ford 2.3l ICM

You just need a volt/ohm meter and a couple of sewing pins(wire piercers)

You didn't answer other questions, but have you noticed MPG going down recently?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Aside from the ICM, it sounds like fuel pressure is sporadic, but you'd get bucking on acceleration other than sudden loss of power...but not always. Bucking is usually fuel pump symptom but it is not always present if fuel pressure drops suddenly as opposed to simply less fuel pressure.

It would also be worth a check on the inertia switch circuit. I've had one that would not fully trip the circuit but would cut fuel flow suddenly...this one had me going nuts and cost over $2,000 before finding a burnt inertia switch.

And lean conditions can be vac leaks, but you don't indicated vac leak symptoms fully...so something else affecting fuel to give lean condition.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals