• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger Extremely rough idle no power 3.0

svtkidd23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Truck is a 1999 ranger 3.0 4x4 with manual trans.

It was driving perfectly fine and started idling terrible. Its done this before I changed plugs wires and it was fine.

This time I was in traffic truck has been fine for 5k miles. Waiting in traffic stop and go stop and go it had same idle...

Dug deeper into the truck found a tornado in the intake LOL. pulled that out cleaned MAF and IAC. Had 2 codes on my scanner P0171 Bank 1 too lean
and P0302 Cylinder #2 misfire.

Changed plug again on #2. Checked and verifyed spark on #2 cylinder. Still running rough as can be. I checked the injector and it had .29 ohms so i replaced that. Lean code went away. Still missing. yet no code.

I found a hole intake and plugged it with a bolt it came from oil filler cap vent to the intake. Something somewhere has a vac leak I think... We have spark and fuel. Unless the compression is bad.

Pulled plug and started it and it sounded like it had a lot of compression, wont know till tomorrow.

sprayed carb cleaner all around the motor and nothing changed rev wise.. so I dunno on vac leak

Cliffs:
Truck idles terrible and shakes truck violently until 2800 ish up
Coil is good
New plugs, wires, injector
po171 and po0302
plugged intake from oil filler cap
carb cleaner caused no change in idle around hoses
No power... drivinh me :icon_surprised:

svtkidd23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
also replaced the dpfe sensor as well

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While it is idling badly spray some of that cleaner into the intake to see if that smooth's it out. If that does it look harder for a vac leak. And for goodness sake put that engine vent back on. You don't want oil leaks as well.
Big Jim

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might look at the 90 degree rubber elbow (PCV) at the back of the head.
They tend to break down and crack, creating a vacuum leak in a place where you may not have thought to look. I believe it's only on the driver side head and is hard to see without a mirror. Use your girl's compact mirror, they like being helpful like that.

svtkidd23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Might look at the 90 degree rubber elbow (PCV) at the back of the head.
They tend to break down and crack, creating a vacuum leak in a place where you may not have thought to look. I believe it's only on the driver side head and is hard to see without a mirror. Use your girl's compact mirror, they like being helpful like that.
ok ill pop intake off as well and replace that gasket. doing a compression test tonight!

While it is idling badly spray some of that cleaner into the intake to see if that smooth's it out. If that does it look harder for a vac leak. And for goodness sake put that engine vent back on. You don't want oil leaks as well.
Big Jim
Lol.. i honestly can't remember there ever being a line there since i've had it. :D Will fix that as well Ill make a swagelock line to it.

svtkidd23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Replaced coil and still doing it... Compression was excellent through out all cylinders

svtkidd23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Would a cam sensor cause this?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sheesh, I watched your two videos.
Doesn't look like a cam phazer issue to me.
A vacuum gage would surely help you troubleshoot this without continuing to throw parts at it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2003/VacuumLeaks.shtml <Click this link

I suggest you borrow a vacuum gage from the auto parts store (loaner program) and hook it to the line you disconnect from the brake booster. Report back that result.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals