• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 5.0 swap

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
i saw earlier in the thread that you used hedman headers. what kind of clearance issues did you have with the 4x4, because they were meant for a 2wd? do you have any part numbers off the top of your head? and what were the motor mounts for that you used?

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My head and were for 67?-70 mustang they are 88400's I didn't have any issues with them I did use the 2.9/4.0 mounts with 3/8ths plate, if (when) I do it over again I'll weld together some motor mounts that use a poly bushing, but the plates work fine, they would work great if you had an automatic

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I thought real hard on what I'm going to do as far as motor wise, for cost right now I'm buying a 89 302 from a bronco, if its a good bottom end I'll do heads cam rockers to make a nice little power plant, if the cylinders are ruff I'll build a 331 with the top end I was going to put on the 302

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the junk yard yesterday found a good c6 gotta pull it Monday, might need a tc though because I think the engine is seized, but I wanted to find first gen xlt emblems but couldn't even find first gen ones, so I got second gen ones and painted them red to keep the first gen look

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Went to the trails for 2 nights in a row, the second night the gear ratio difference got the front u joint

Luckily I didn't have to go through the mud holes I took in, also my throttle cable popped off so I modified the cheapy autozone throttle cable bracket to work better and I realized I was only getting 3/4 throttle, fixed it and it runs better, but at full throttle it has less power then just off full, thinking my snorkel isn't letting enough air in so I'll play around with that

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Why the C-6? Yes its bulletproof from the start, but they are such HP pigs. I have one in mine and it works well, but if I was gonna ever do it again, I would look for a C-4 out of a early Bronco. The came with the adapter for the Dana 20 (which Im using), and with a little money, they can be really built up. All I did to mine was a tranny flush and filter and added a B&M TC

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted to rebuild it and try to reduce as much drag as I could, but I'll run like 5.13 gears, if I have too, I thought about c4 but finding one of those are impossible around me and I want to keep my 205 and maybe run a doubler eventually

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well after allot of tranny shake and bouncing I got this, now I just need to get a poly trans mount, think I'll get it all in Tuesday and hopefully have the c6 by then

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well the ranger will get put on hold, I went to the dark side, I had to see what all the hype about the ls engines are, 132,XXX rebuilt with paper work at 100,000 with 8k in motor work, body is clean except for rockers, I was there at the right time and scored for $3500

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I already had the tcase support so I put that on, wow what a difference that makes, I'm really impressed with trail techs product too, for the $85 it was worth every penny, also I destroyed my drives side front inner axle and stub shaft, so I'll have to get some new ones eventually

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I've been wanting to do something different that you don't see everyday, I'm going to need some input and maybe some help but what about using my extra np435 I have laying around, as a crawl box behind my zf?

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well a small update, getting it ready for Michigan mud jam, sealed everything up good welded the rear end now on to the front axle, hopefully getting one tomorrow from the junkyard, finally decided on what I want to do, it'll get one tons and a 408w c6 combo I have the 351 block and I have a good friend building the engine for me I need to hot tank and prep the block and he will build it but he's down in Indiana at the moment, should be good for 600 hp I hope

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So all the small stuff I put off in my truck I'm getting done the week before I want to use it of coarse, $400 some dollars later its all almost done, yeah didn't expect the small stuff to add up, all I have to do is bleed the brakes to finally get a firm pedal and not a mushy one, need to put a ujoint in the axle and toss it back on along with all new axle pinion and wheel seals, then get the vacuum advance hooked up, it works testes it with a mighty vac, also I'm filling it up with 98 and see if I can bump my timing up to 15° initial, but I guess we'll see

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So another thing happened, I ordered a 408 scat stroker kit for $1600 with h beam rods and then got this gem delivered, it was $300 and the guy drove 2 hours each way to deliver it, its really clean 96 so it is the roller block

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals