• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Burnt out on projects?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anybody here get burnt out on their Ranger? Its been a slow long project but I just don't have any drive or desire to finish it. I've had it for like 4 years (longest I've owned a vehicle) and it hasn't run in about 2.5 years. I've dumped a lot of time and money in it and I feel like I can't give up on it. But I just dread the idea of working on it and I dont get excited to wrench on it. I have good memories in it and that is what is keeping me from giving up.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
oh, yeah...can't say how many times I've wanted to give it all up and start walking or riding a moped...but I keep plugging away at it...owned mine for 15 years or so...drove it for the first two or three years...parked it for a few more...drove it again for four years...it's been parked since last june or july when I blew the engine...working at it again but also trying to sell it and start fresh...

I don't want to sell it but it will take more work than I'd anticipated and cost more than I have currently...not that I really need a truck right now...but it would be nice to have one sitting in the driveway that I know I can hop into and start up...drive anywhere and make it back...

Overall, the work I put in the first few times resulted in two or three years (at least) of fairly trouble free driving...this time around I figured it would last four or five before I had to do something to it...

It's worth it...so hang in there and find the strength...course, we don't know what it needs or what's keeping you back..so why not let us in on a bit more of the details...

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I have found [ for me anyway] I have way more fun and stay interested for years and I'm excited with a project when the end of the project is exactly what I wanted when I started. I have had a couple vehicles over the years that it didn't matter what I did to it , it just wasn't what I wanted. Don't know if that makes sense , but , build what you'll ultimately want. OR... start with a new rig.:beer:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got way to much time invested in mine. With the V-8 swap, lifting it, new axles (Explorer) I just cant seem to even think of parting with it. Of course if someone came along offering the right price it would go down the road. Mine sits a lot now days though (we have a total of 8 running vehicles)the BOGGERs just flat get tore up to bad to drive on the street). I did just order a new set of 36" IROC radials for it, so maybe I will start driving it more. Of course the 6mpg I get out of it limits how much I drive it.

When I first did the V-8 swap I never thought about giving up on it (this was back before very many were done) and some of the things I used on mine didnt have very much info on swapping (using a Dana 20 transfer case for example).

Dont give up, and you will be through it before you realize its done.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I having been working on this stupid Mustang for 15 years. It still doesn't run, I am sick of wringing money out of my dad to finish his car, when he is never around to help but always complains that I am working on it without him, and I need my garage back. I know how it is.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I've got most of you beat.
Pulled the body off a 78 Bronco in 1987 to do a full restore & rebuild.
it has a 460 SCJ waiting patiently in the basement.
I'm retiring next year, maybe, just maybe I can squeeze it in with a Ranger and 2 SHO projects.

Perry

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dude I was in diapers and my truck was sitting on the new car lot waiting to be sold when you started that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Dude I was in diapers and my truck was sitting on the new car lot waiting to be sold when you started that.
The way its going, I'll be back in diapers when it gets finished.

Perry

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'm really really bad at starting projects and not finishing them...currently I have two Rangers, my motorcycle, a Jeep ZJ, a house and its million little projects, cars that I helped my cousin get started on, my dads '57 Chevy truck, its not looking good..

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I know how it is, I've been burned out on my Ranger a couple times, and right now I'm burned out on my Tracker, a simple engine freshening and tranny rebuild is now getting to be around $1500 in parts after buying 2 spare engines, $400 in tranny internals, $500 in rebuild parts and other misc stuff... I wish I could be driving the stupid thing getting 30mpg instead of my F350 getting 17mpg (Ranger gets 16, but has to run premium so it's technically cheaper to drive the 7500lb truck than the 4000lb truck). I parked the thing in September and things kept getting worse but I was too deep in it to give up...

Hagan, I'm in Hopewell now instead of NE Salem like I was for a while, but if you need a kick to get it going again or a hand, or parts let me know and I'll drive mine over and help out...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't mind the mechanical work but the mounting bodywork is concerning me. When I was gutting the stock powertrain to put the V8 in and accdentially put my thumb through the cab corner I thought "how smart is it to continue this?" A few weeks ago I noticed I had a hole in the floor pan now, still needs a box yet...

I have a ton of projects, three tractors I use a lot and yet basically need restored but for the most part they can't quit moving long enough for me to do what they need if I had the funding. 1 I just resealed the front of the engine (timing cover, front seal and gov housing) and went through the hydraulic pump, needs rewired, the rear end still howls and it kicks out of third like any good A-C, another (my main one) needs a clutch, a voltage regulator, rear axle seal, various seals and gaskets and the shifter rebuilt, and the third needs a engine overhaul, various gaskets (one of which requires a split) Meanwhile the first one is going back under the cultivator, the second just came off the 12' disk in time for a tractor show and ride last weekend and the third is doing its summer job of running a shredder on brush patrol. Add to that a loyal but rapidly aging dd that right now still needs the rear window seal fixed after a bunch of front end work and new tires last year. Then you get to house stuff. I can work on stuff until 10pm about every night and hardly put a dent in staying caught up let alone get ahead on them. It kinda gets old circling from one thing to the next...

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My wheeling rig is pretty much done. I have a few little things to fix on it, probably need to put new bearings and synchros in the trans and build a couple skid plates, but that is about as far as I'm going with it. I also want to pull out some of the dents it acquired last year.

Burnt out...no... being at the "finish line" or close to it is pretty motivating and it makes me feel better about the little things and maintenance it needs.

I'm kinda at the point where I need a shop to work in, which is in the works right now, and I want to start doing a frame off restore on my F150 after that, or at least put it inside so it doesn't get hailed on again.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes you just have to sit down and decide what you want to do going forward. We all change as we age and our interests change. At some point we need to make a decision and move forward.

For me, I had to start unloading stuff so I could get it off my back. I had so much stuff going on that I couldn't get anything done. I just look at what needed doing and sit back down because it was overwhelming.

So, I made some hard decisions and started putting stuff on CL. And, every time something went down the road the load got lighter and my desire to get things done to what I kept went up. I had to decide that some stuff is just junk that I didn't need/want and move on!!!

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ain't that the truth. I just sold off both my 4 wheelers and a go-kart. They just sit around unused and I had to tinker every single time I went to start one of them. Nobody besides me wanted to ride them anyway, it's not fun riding alone so why keep them? My kid will probably be sad when I tell him the go-kart is gone, but he's way too small for it anyway...maybe when he's older I'll get another one.

I'd rather have money in the bank right now than toys that are never played with.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My B2 has been out of service for about a year. The body is ate up and when I swapped in the 4.0, I had some wiring issues.

I was going to swap an Explorer dash in my donor body, but I put a new tranny in the ex and a fuel pump and sold it for double my money and got a nice 92 F150 stepside. Its actually real fun to drive.

So I found a 93 Ranger ex cab that has a 4.0 5 speed. I'm getting excited about it. Just gotta start working on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals