• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 SAS 2004 Ranger

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to SAS this summer and am starting to get my parts all lined up. Its an around towner and drive to the trail rig and I'm planning on running 35in-37in tires depending on availability and prices.

I have a front 79 F250 dana 44 and a chevy ?? rear dana 44. Both axles are 4.56 gearing. My plan is to pick up a set of 63" chevy leafs for the rear and explorer leafs for the front with my ranger main leaf added. Plan on buying hangers and mounts from ballistic fab or ruff stuff. Opinions on front vs rear shackle position in the front? I know the front shackle will keep me lower which is what I want.

The Ford 44 was converted to 6 lug chevy outers (meaning from the knuckle out correct?) to match the rear. Does this include brakes? The calipers are missing from the front and they must be chevy brakes considering the lugs go through the rotor? How do I know what calipers to buy exactly?

For steering I'm going with a IFS toyota box with custom linkage built from DOM and rod ends from ballistic fab. Trying to run high steer. The axle does have a high steer arm on it just not sure where it came from or much about it.

This is the last picture of the axles I have before I had to go back to school, today, 2.5 hours from home. Thoughts on the plan or what I should do about brakes? Can anyone ID the high steer arm?

Attachments

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Also the VSS is in my rear 8.8. I realize that something must be done with it. Do I go for a FW 8.8 out of a F150 or redo the transfer case to the year that had the VSS there as opposed to the axle?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Throw the rear 44 in the garbage. Get a fw 8.8...

SVT

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That rear looks more like a GM Corporate axle (10-bolt or 12-bolt maybe).

Still agree though, a Ford 8.8" is a much better axle, but do avoid '83-'86 8.8s (unless you plan to swap in a full-carrier-replacement locker such as ARB or Detroit, then disregard).

Rear shackles will give you a smoother ride. Rear shackles also require you have a much longer slip-spline on the front driveshaft, but IMO I think the better ride is worth it (mounting the shackle through the frame, rather than under it, can keep the height down a bit).

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Going to purchase the ford 9.75 from the jy tomorrow. Has the vss and disc brakes all I need to do is match the gears to the front and adjust the perches to fit the rail width of the frame. After that let the chopping begin.

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
How much lift is gained from chevy 63" springs? Im ordering my spring swap kit and don't know what length shackles to go with? Ive heard they give about 2-3 inches of lift. is this with the standard 5" shackle?

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure how to post pictures directly so heres a bunch of links. Photos are of the axle being cleaned up and painted up to the Cs with rusty metal primer. The brake rotors will clean up and be "polished" after getting rid of surface rust with a wire wheel. Also Figured out where to mount my leaf spring perch so that the axle will be centered. 8" from Cs to the center of the mount. Springs are chevy 63" and exploder 4 door. The ruff stuff box has my spring and shackle hangars as well as a 6 inch shackle which will be ran up front.

Heres a better picture of the hi-steer knuckle. Its not a flat top but still hi-steer. Has part number 6000-0 cast into it as well as Made in USA.

Confirmed 4.56 gears up front. Waiting on leaf perches and mounts from Ballistic Fab as well as my steering linkage.

https://flic.kr/p/vPiuVP
https://flic.kr/p/vNjCKS
https://flic.kr/p/vPivcF
https://flic.kr/p/uS4eyr
https://flic.kr/p/vLBzw9
https://flic.kr/p/vNVvve
https://flic.kr/p/uS4fFg
https://flic.kr/p/vLBAum
https://flic.kr/p/vwjfHY

Last edited:

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Well being the wana be mechanic i am, I poked a hole in my ac condenser while cutting off some stuff before the swap. Ive read that I can't just put a new condenser in rather I have to have it vacuumed dried and oiled and then replace the condenser and then recharge it. That can wait... who needs ac in the summer? :headbang:

On a more exciting note my steering shaft is starting to come in. Heres the shaft itself now I just need my joints.

Attachments

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
No turning back now!!

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Heres a sneek peek of whats starting to come together. Going with an unorthodox mount for front shackles but it should work. More to come soon.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the ford 9.75 is a metric hub centric pattern last i knew.... but it may be an easy fix.

that looks like some wormy ass rectangle tube you got. could just be the picture... i would run a spreader in there and cap the ends if its less then 1/4 inch....

front shackles are fine. depending on what your doing as far as ride height and the actual working spring geometry, there is no harsh noticeable difference in ride. at least not on my truck....but that changes depending where the hangers are mounted and angle of the spring and the shackle angle and length of shackle of course......where it hurts you is when climbing stuff. but when i was rear shackle i was folding springs up like cheap lawn chairs and ripping the drive shaft apart....so front shackle it stays on mine..

unless i get some cheap coil overs anyway...

Mattyd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Ordered an add a leaf to gain some more steering clearance and also a flat pitman arm rather than the drop one I had. Getting some stock to plate the frame then its time for mock up. Sitting on its own weight now.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
that shackle angle is not close to ideal ime...when the springs are flat your really asking for it..

definitely beef up the spring rate or remount it tighter and see if it holds. i have had that happen with waggy springs before. it has to be a rate thing, some or ok with a v8 others were whopped flat with a 6....ame part number different results...odd.

how are you dealing with the metric pattern on the rear axle??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals