• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L oil filter question.

claws69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The stock fram xtra guard replacement oil filter is ph3600
i happen to have a ph8a fram filter at home and was wondering if there would be any harm in using that instead?

They have the same features and same gasket and thread size.
the only dif that i can see is the PH8A is 5.14 in long and 3.8" wide vs 4.92 in long and 2.98 in wide in th ph3800.
space wise i look ok mounting it and this engine is vertical mount filter.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think a much better question is why you are considering using such a terrible brand of oil filter on your vehicle.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I think a much better question is why you are considering using such a terrible brand of oil filter on your vehicle.
+1. FRAM is a horrible brand, and its popularity is the result of good marketing strategy.

Truthfully, tests have shown that FRAM is one of the worse brands you can get, despite it's easy-to-spot orange and textured grip. It allows many particulates to enter you oil and not be filtered out. I can't remember the exact microns, but it was bad enough to consider other brands for that same price.

Motorcraft is a better brand, recommended, and is just as cheap. You also dont have to worry about the threads...

Using the PH8A is the equivalent of using the Motorcraft FL-1A, which is used on the 4.0L motors and my stock Mustang 5.0. I had another 4.0L before this one, and I was once given a 2.5L / 2.9L / 3.0L FRAM PH3800 (at the auto parts store) and ran it (that size and sometimes that brand) for YEARS before I found out I was using the wrong filter. I switched over immediately.

Point is, I didnt know better and I used the same FRAM, and the smaller size on my larger engine. THE FILTER WILL WORK CORRECTLY. (I believe this was your original question.)

Don't worry, just make sure you tighten it correctly, without cranking it on the thread.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
+2 stay away from Fram......wally world has the MC for <$4

Last edited:

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fram is the worst oil filter to use on an overhead cam engine because the anti drainback valves leaks pretty bad. Dry starts are not good. They filter worse than most also.
Use a Wix, Purolater, AC Delco, or a Motorcraft (same as purolater).
With trillions of negative posts about Fram on the internet, I can't believe anyone would actually not know about them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals