• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 cranks but no start

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i just cleaned the MAF , im letting it sit right now before I put it back on. The FPR looks original. Are you talking about the red vac line that is attached to it on top? I pulled it off and it was hard to get in there to smell but I think I smelled a fuel scent from inside of the line. I didnt run the car today so maybe if I did it would have some raw fuel in it or smell more, im not sure. im going to put the coil pack back on and put everything back and see what happens. im guessing the same thing bc im thinking FPR might be faulty too. it makes sense if it is i guess. can i just unplug the line and see if it runs better? or block it off?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think either coil would be far enough out of spec to write off as bad without testing on vehicle.
OHM meters are not always exact.

Yes start engine, pull off the vacuum line and see if fuel is coming out of that FPR port.

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i changed the fpr and it runs great now. no problems yet. do you think my original coil pack is good still? that is weird it would barely start it and the new one was starting it and driving it pretty good even with the bad fpr. does this show i needed a new coil pack anyway? im trying to convince myself to keep the new one on there and not go try to put the old one on and see if it works and then return the new one and get my 77 dollars back :) . i also put a new iac on it and could do the same with that since i think my old one worked fine still. i dont want to have to change this stuff again if i just leave it on now, but also i like OEM parts over oriellys and could get some money back but all the parts probably have 182K on them

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the truck is running great now , im going to keep all the new parts on it and keep the old ones as spares, except for the old fpr, that was the problem. thanks for your help RonD !

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
today the truck threw me the same codes of p0172 and p0175 . i took off the iac and put the old one on and now it wont start. the new iac i got was in a box that was open and had been taped closed. im wondering if it was a return that had something wrong with it. this truck is really getting on my nerves now. i had to stop working because it started pouring rain. i dont know what was initially wrong with this car or what is wrong now. basically it is back to not starting. im gonna put the new iac back on and see if it starts when it stops raining. once it throws the codes of p0172 and p0175 it runs good, before the codes get thrown there is some bogging and hesitation

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
truck runs with newer iac back on ... i can drive it around now with all the new parts but when i step on it sometimes its bogging out / hesitating. before the other day this truck had no CEL or problems starting or anything at all and ran great. then out of no where it wouldnt start. i cleaned original iac that didnt help, then i got a new one that didnt help, then i got a new coil pack which started the car again but was running rough and had codes p0172 and p0175. i cleaned the maf and i got a fpr which made it run a lot better to where it is more tolerable to drive. it was good for a day then it started with little hesitation on acceleration and then i got codes p0172 and p0175 again. i cleared the codes and it runs and drives okay for the most part but im getting hesitation on acceleration sometimes . what should i look for next ? is there something common to p0172 and p0175 codes ? 02 sensor? maf? its just weird this car had no problems before the day it wouldnt start and now i fixed it and it starts and runs again , so where did this weird hesitation come from ? its hard not to think one of the parts i bought is faulty

Last edited:

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
id open up a new thread but people here dont like that so alright thanks guys ill just replace parts til its fixed . did spark plugs and cleaned maf again . now water pump is leaking ... if this wasnt my dads old truck it would have been in pick n pull by now

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so alright thanks guys ill just replace parts til its fixed
Well if you're unhappy with the free advice from people who are trying their best but who can't put hands on, then you could actually pay for a mechanic to diagnose.

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i doubt that youve tried your best. thanks for your help though.

calioak510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if anyone in the future reads this thread i thought i would come back and tell you guys that the problem was the Mass Air Flow Sensor. When I cleaned it, it made it better but didnt fix it. I decided to clean it again and when I did i looked very close at it and saw that one of the probes on it looked burnt, then i touched it and saw it wasnt connected on one side. i got a new one and it works great. i probably didnt need the other stuff, coil, iac, fuel regulator, plugs and new fuel filter, but it doesnt hurt to have those items and keep the old ones as back up. MAF doesnt throw a code, if it does it might give a lean or a rich code :icon_pepsi:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals