• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 gears

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
I am in the process of regearing my 1992 explorer front differential to 4.10. I ordered the new ring and pinion from RockAuto. My question is this:

The gears that showed up are the opposite cut from the factory. They are listed as for the 1992 Explorer Dana 35 front axle, but I think they are meant to be for the Jeep Dana 35 rear axle. Obviously the ring gear that I was sent will match the pinion that I as sent, so the vehicle should still move with the set I was sent. Is the ring/pinion direction set up to be sturdier in forward than reverse? Am I able to use the set I was sent?

Part: 2020487
Here is a link to the product:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4956537&cc=1119619&jnid=545&jpid=26

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
- Joe

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
If it's cut the opposite way they will not fit, period. You need to send them back. The teeth will sit on top of each other instead of fitting in-between each other. You can test this by laying them out on the table and moving the pinion from where it meshes, to the opposite side in roughly the same spot, you'll see what I mean.

The high pinion differential type will be stronger when going forward in the front application. The low pinion front will be stronger when pulling in reverse (which has it's advantages as well). But since you have the high pinion housing, that's the gearset you'll need.

The numbers are listed for a front application on their website. I got the same for a 1992 Explorer. But discrepancies happen, so if you're absolutely, 100% certain, that these are cut the wrong way, I'd give them a call.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals