• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Itunes Library On Ext Hard Drive Question

irishblessing

So I have an External Hard drive with my entire music library on it, sometimes i either have to disconnect my hard drive or turn it off; when i do i have to delete all the missing links and re drag and drop my music folder from my hard drive to Itunes program- i do this instead of trying to "Locate missing links"-That's just always how I've always done it.

That's not the issue really, because all the information i have edited on Itunes about each song comes back with the file; genre, comments, album art etc. Except for the RATINGS! Now I've been using this same method since i started using Itunes in 2006 and i have over 30,000 songs all nicely categorized, but unfortunately I've rated the same songs multiple times because sometimes my Itunes forgets where my library is and i have to start over.

So The Question is; Is There a way to somehow embed the rating i give to my songs to the mp4, mp3 file itself so i don't have to start over each time?

irishblessing

So I have stumped everyone; that feels good, i suppose, although my question hasn't been answered. Any recommendations?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not sure if anyone I've encountered on this site is capable of answering this question in terms of writing a program that would allow you to modify the file format...although this sounds like it would be a Apple/Mac platform and since it is open architecture I would say somebody, somewhere must have had the same problem...

What type of disk drive are you using and have you tried any other disc drives?

I remember doing some stuff on drives on the Mac and having to use command line instructions to get a drive recognized...but that was at least 10 years ago...no, only 8 years ago...maybe seven...regardless...it is not in my immediate memory...

I'd try searching on that if you haven't already done so...

EDIT:

OK, I was curious...not sure if this is what you mean...it is for iTunes on Windows and the rating system is different...but have a look...might also be other stuff in there...

https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/7104859

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
When you keep your iTunes library on an external HD, you can link it by selecting iTunes>preferences>advanced and point it to where it lives. The only problem is when someone opens iTunes when that HD is not connected or powered on. This will recreate a new library database and forces you to locate your music, which screws up your metadata (ratings). Manually dropping that folder starts it over fresh each time.

Do you have just the music on the external HD or the entire iTunes folder? I have found it is better to the entire iTunes folder living externally, so metadata doesn't get confused.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals