• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hybrid Dana 35

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I got a Dana 35 hybrid with 4.10 gears for free but it's just the pumpkin side. I have a rear 8.8 with 4.10 gears with a locker.

Should I just go to the junkyard and pick up the other side and throw the hybrid in or keep saving for a real Dana 35?

Is the hybrid an upgrade from my 4.10 Dana 28?

I run 31 in tires and don't plan to upgrade tires until I get a real Dana 35.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It's a minor upgrade from a D28 in that you'll have larger u-joints with the hybrid axle, but not too far behind that you still have the tiny 23-spline axles where it enters into the differential. With 31s and gentle wheeling it should hold up until you can get a D35 anyway.

I suspect once you do find a usable other half to go with your hybrid axle though, the opposite half that is an actual D35 will likely be attached to it (or at least sitting right there next to it), so it might be better just to grab the whole thing rather than just the one half. You could get lucky and the D35 has 4.10 gears in it too if it's from a '90-'92 4-cyl or 2.9L truck... But if not, you can also use the hybrid diff for it's 4.10 gears while you save up to get the real one regeared and maybe a locker added to it, then it's just a matter of swapping out the hybrid chunk (and two inner shafts) with the D35 chunk.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey junkie thanks for the response. Will the ring gear and pinion fit in the 28 from the hybrid 35?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Hey junkie thanks for the response. Will the ring gear and pinion fit in the 28 from the hybrid 35?
I THINK they will, but I can't say for absolute sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals